PDA

View Full Version : Land of Nod folding kitchen

JenniferMC1971
10-19-2006, 10:17 PM
I got an email from Land of Nod about some items that are shipping for free, and I was all set to buy the For Here or To Go Kitchen until I saw it was age 3 & up also. My DD will be 15 months around Christmas. It reminds me of the Melissa and Doug kitchen top in the thread below about good gifts for a one year old's birthday and Christmas. But I noticed in the amazon link for that item that it also says for 3 & up. Any reason not to get one of those items or should I wait until she's older? Are there parts that are choking hazards? What do you think?

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=2003&f=2142&pc=1225

-Jennifer

ellies mom
10-20-2006, 01:08 AM
I think it would be fine. I'm thinking about getting something like that to keep in our kitchen so Ellie can have her own stove while I'm cooking. That one is adorable and with free shipping, a pretty good price. Thanks for the link.

boys2enough
10-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I wonder whether they also took into account how a kid is expected to play with the toy. So since this is for pretend and role playing, maybe an older child will be able to enjoy the toy in its "intended" way. Sort of like how Duplos are labeled to be for kids 3 or 4 years older, even though younger kids get a kick out of throwing the blocks or just running around holding a block in each hand. (yes, like mine used to...)

Warning: The following is a sort of a vent...

A friend of mine has the exact same kitchen for her DD, and she bought it for her when she was about 1. Ok, my friend is not the winner of Mother of the Year award or something, but her DD hasn't suffered any harm from playing with that toy...

I will probably get flamed for this, but I think often the manufacturers label the toys as appropriate for kids 3 years or older to cover their behind. God forbid if something happens to a baby when s/he is playing with their products, then they can always say, "Oh, my. It was not meant for kids that young to begin with." One'd assume that the liability gets higher when you sell products that target the really young.

I am probably being unnecessaily honest here. Oh well, it's late and I should go to bed. LOL.

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

cuca_
10-20-2006, 01:45 PM
We have had that same kitchen for about a year and DD loves it. The only thing that could be dangerous is that the knob on the pot lid came off, and I would worry about a smaller kid putting that into their mouth. I have yet to call Melissa and Doug to report this. I would still buy it, but be watchful of that lid, or maybe even take it away until your DD is older.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

writermama
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd keep a close eye on the pot lid knob, the pegs or screws used for the handle and the hinge on the front, and possibly the knobs or at least the screws that attach them.

pittsburghgirl
10-21-2006, 03:24 PM
We got this for DS's 2nd birthday. He LOVES it. We haven't had any problems with the pot lid (although I would definitely check it periodically) but the handle broke on one side - I'm not sure if DS whacked it against something or it was just defective.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png