PDA

View Full Version : Melissa & Doug easel or Step2 easel? (Pics included)

just_teachin
10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm considering these two for Corinne for Christmas. She's tall for her age (will be two in November), but I'm thinking the M&D is too tall for her. But I really like the construction of it, and she'd be able to use it longer.

The Step2, on the other hand, could be used immediately, and folds easier (a necessity).

What do you think??

M&D (I can get it for $30 at our Farm & Fleet in town - lists at $50 on TRU.com):
1. chalk board on one side, dry erase on the other; I like the paper roll option
2. has a height adjustment;
3. I've read bad reviews about the chalkboard side- any experience with that?
4. And finally, is the dry erase side magnetic?
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2788133reg.jpg

Stpe2 (I can get it for $40 at the F&F)
1. chalkboard on one side, dry erase on other; no paper roll option, though has clips for paper
2. No height adjustment- a negative to me
3. How's the chalkboard on this one?
4. Is magnetic-- a plus in my eyes; your thoughts?
http://www.step2.com/images/products/758104_details.jpg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heather
Mommy to Corinne, 11/17/04
6/7 SAHM, 1/7 Kdg-8th grade music teacher; 7/7 Bargain Huntress
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif Proudly breastfeeding for 23+ months!

jvs195
10-25-2006, 08:06 AM
We have the M&D easel and like it. It was relatively easy to put together. DS will be 2 in January and is 38 inches tall. He has been using it for several months (and it's at the lowest level) and has had no problem with the height (actually likes to sit in front of it, which is difficult with the tray). I have not yet used the chalkboard side (too messy) and the whiteboard is not magnetic, this would be useful, but we just keep the paper over it and use it for drawing mostly.

JBaxter
10-25-2006, 09:15 AM
we have this one
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2323094&cp=&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&origkw=easel&kw=easel&parentPage=search

Which is similar and I love the dry/magent board. I looked for one with out a paper roll because I know my little guy would just unroll it all at one time. I am able to limit his sheets much easier. We really like ours its held up will this year.

ellies mom
10-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I love the M&D easel. We got it for DD right after she turned two and she is a little on the petite side. We just lowered it all the way down. I had heard that the chalkboard had problems too but ours does not. I heard the chalkboard issue on a bunch of different ones though. One solution I read was to cover the chalkboard in chalk and then erase a few times. But I ended up not having to do that. We use sidewalk chalk because it seems easier for her to use and is less breakable than regular chalk.

Like the PP said the dry erase board is not magnetic but I keep it covered with paper so she can use her coloured pencils whenever she wants. Dry Erase markers aren't very washable, so I don't let her use them.

She uses the thing just about every day even if I don't pull out the paint. I love that one of the bins has little wells to help hold the paint jars.

squimp
10-25-2006, 04:48 PM
I agree with everything the PP says here. We have the M&D and love it. She uses it every day, mostly drawing with crayons, washable markers or colored pencils on paper. She sometimes will ask for paints, or she'll put stickers on the paper, and sometimes draws with chalk. We use the paper roll, or use the clips and packing paper from packages. The clips work well, and we use the fridge for magnet play, so magnets are not something we needed.

We rarely use the dry erase markers after an unfortunate encounter with a favorite Naartjie dress. Beware that those markers can be permanent on clothes!

just_teachin
10-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for your opinions so far!!

Yes, Corinne is too young for dry erase markers still, which is why I'd like the dry erase side to be magnetic. I guess I can't have it all, eh?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heather
Mommy to Corinne, 11/17/04
6/7 SAHM, 1/7 Kdg-8th grade music teacher; 7/7 Bargain Huntress
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif Proudly breastfeeding for 23+ months!

kaitlinsmommy
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I know someone posted recently about a similar easel where the dry-erase side is magnetic (which is what I'm looking for). I'll let you know if I find it.

brittone2
10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
We have the step 2 one, bought from our former neighbors for $5 at a yard sale. I'm a huge wooden toy fan, but we've gotten a lot of use out of our big ole honking plastic easel.

DS has used it as a playhouse quite a bit too ;)

The chalkboard side is very plastic-y. Not the greatest but DS doesn't complain (yet). He's been using it since he was 16-18 months old.

What I like about the step 2 one is that I don't have a ton of storage space for the easel, so we often leave it out on our deck, and that's often where DS paints, so less mess and no great tragedy if it doesn't get brought in before it rains, etc. If you go the step 2 route, I routinely see them on craigslist, etc. for $10, or I see them at consignment shops/sales, etc. so you might be able to get one *really* inexpensively. It isn't my dream easel for him or anything but we've gotten tons of use out of it for five bucks, kwim?