PDA

View Full Version : ExerSaucer, Floor Gym, or Both???

Robin L
10-27-2006, 07:15 AM
I am in the process of registering for my first baby, and I'm now stuck on toys. I have registered for the Mega ExerSaucer Circus ($60) and the Boppy Entertain Me Play Gym (floor mat - $63). Do I need both, or should I just register for one? I have a pretty small house, so I don't want to load it with too many big toys, and both of these are pricy. But, I'm not sure if the baby will need each of these two toys at different stages and so I'll want both on hand. Any advice?

kimbe
10-27-2006, 08:03 AM
I didn't even register for an exersaucer because of its size. We received a hand me down from a friend, but I didn't really use it all that much because DD was much happier on the floor -- it pretty much stayed in the basement. (Also had the infant to toddler rocker that DD loved.) We had a very simple gym (I think $20 from Target) that we used until she started pulling herself up on it! She absolutely loved it.

So my thoughts are definitely get a gym, but wait out the exersaucer. See if you can borrow one or find a hand me down.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
IME, the gym is used at a younger age than the saucer. We didn't have a gym, but I wish that we had bought one for DS2. It will be on my wish list if we have a third baby. The saucer has been a huge hit for both of my kids, but the PP is right in that you can get one cheap at a consignment store, or borrow one from a friend. They are big and clunky to store!

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Look for an exersaucer that folds up. That would help. :)

I really thunk that the 2 toys are for 2 different purposes and age ranges. If I were to pick just one I will dissent and choose the exersaucer to register for. I think you would do better to either by the play gym at a used store or just make something up yourself. We didn't have anything like that for my ds...we just used a Lamaze brand mirror, a blanket and some toys at eye level for tummy time.

Beth

scoop22
10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
ds loved the exersaucer.. we actually had two one for upstairs and one for downstairs. it was nice to put him in it when we needed to run into another room. we got them both at garage sales. ds didn't like his play gym. he hated the floor. he wanted to be up and see what was around. it is hard to tell what your dc will like. like the pp. i would probably lean towards a rocker before the exersaucer. less space. then you can look for one later or borrow one depending on what your DC is interested in. HTH..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

brittone2
10-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Well they don't really need either ;) If you are curious I have a bunch of old posts in the archives on exersaucers and development.

Just chiming in to say they don't enhance motor development, but if you feel you need one to entertain your child, I understand. Just clarifying they definitely aren't a necessary item IMO.

We did use a play gym.

JBaxter
10-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I had both like a pp said they are for different stages. Nathan LOVED his exersauser ( I had the one that folded ) I took that to lots of picnics that summer and at g'mas house that was NOT child proofed. It was a life saver when making dinner. The boppy gym I used from about 2-5months mainly. If you can get both do!

floridamommy
10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Like the previous poster said...the exersaucer was especially great to have around when I took DD to places or people's houses that were not totally kid-friendly. I knew she could be contained and enteratined at the same time without hauling a pack-n-play. My DD definitey got a lot of use out of our exersaucer.

Jen841
10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
My vote is for both, but if you could borrow one or both that would be key. I love baby things getting as much use as possible. They both have short lives, but in my eyes they were sanity savers! For #2 I borrowed a second exersaucer so I had one for each floor, and bought a second floor gym at a resale store ($2).

I could not shower without an exersaucer with both kids! The gym was perfect for floor time.

Nothing fancy is necessary for either one, it is the function it serves that is the most important.

MommyAllison
10-27-2006, 01:07 PM
We had two gym playmats (TinyLove Gymini & one from Target) and didn't have an exersaucer. We didn't miss the saucer but got lots of use out of the playgyms!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

AnnieW625
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
The play mats are great. DD who is almost 7 mos. old has used her since she was 2 mos. old or so. She didn't start really interacting with the toys on hers until she was about 4 mos. old, but it was nice to have just so I could put her down to go to the bathroom or change the laundry. The lights are also nice and helped her a lot with tracking. It easily folds up when we have company over. We have this one from Baby Einstein: https://www.babyeinstein.com/Store/ProductDetail_153.asp?CurrentPage=3&Grouping=Category&ThemeID=0&AgeRangeID=0&ProductTypeID=6&IsOnSale=0&ProductQuery=

I would also register for a bouncy seat. DD likes this a bit more than she did when she was smaller, but it is another nice thing to have when you need to stick the baby somewhere for a quick second.

We haven't gotten an exersaucer yet mainly because of space and we have a small house and no room to keep it out all of the time.

LarsMal
10-30-2006, 09:42 AM
IMO you should go ahead and register for both. I basically registered for everything I thought I would possibly "need" (which, of course ended up being way more than I actually used!). I did that so I would know/remember what I wanted in case I didn't get it. The one thing I didn't get off my registry was my exersaucer, but like other PP's I just borrowed one.

I have the Baby Einstein play gym and I used it a TON with my DS. It was easy to travel with, too. It was nice to have a safe, clean place to lay baby when you are visiting people.

Good luck!