PDA

View Full Version : Looking for toy suggestions for 15+ months

BeachBum
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
My guy had a September b-day and now I'm at a loss for Christmas. For his b-day he got a wagon, FP laugh and learn, and a sand table.
But didn't get much in the way of smaller toys.

I really want toys that have educational/lasting/open ended play. He gets so bored with other types of toys. They just aren't worth the money because he plays with them so little. Most importantly I just want them to be fun!

I guess I'm also not sure what to expect developmentally with my son over the next few months. I would like to get some things that might be too challening now, but that he can grow into.

Other than the items he got for his birthday, his favorite toys are a watering can, tool set, and ball shoot/drop.

I don't have any "unique" toys stores near me, so I am pretty much unware of things that aren't carried at the major chains. Please educate me :)

I would really love any and all suggestions!

94bruin
10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't know if you DS would be into it (or if you have the space for it), but my DD *loved* the kitchen at her cousins' house (both the boy and girl cousins played with it.) We're on the hunt for one for Christmas.

ETA: DD was 16 months when she played with the kitchen.

brittone2
10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Smaller items:
CDs
Playsilks
Musical instruments (maracas, tambourine, etc.)
unit blocks
crayons (something sturdy...stockmar blocks or sticks are our favorites)
shape sorter (IMO he's at a good age for this).
Puzzles (big peg puzzles like the ones from Melissa and Doug)

Bigger items:
Easel (dS started using his around 16 months for short periods of time...could be grown into)

Play kitchen (DS got his at 15 months and had fun w/ just opening/closing cabinets, turning knobs, etc. Pretend play started more around 18 months, expanded again at 2 years, and really has taken off at 2.5, so again, something he could really grow into)

Some sort of toy he can push around...walker wagon, shopping cart, bubble mower?

BeachBum
10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the good suggestions. I would have thought that the Kitchen and Easle were too advanced for him. But after giving it some thought I think you guys are right...he may not use it to it's full potential but will enjoy them now and can grow into them.

He really enjoyes the "instruments" at Kindermusik and I don't know why I don't have some at home. Good idea. :)

I guess I'm going to give into the pressure and get some playsilks. I honestly can't see what is so great about them :) but I'm going to give the a try :)

hillview
10-31-2006, 08:42 PM
On my xmas list for DS who will be 17 months (he is 15 now):
- aquadoodle
- geotrax train
- wooden puzzles
- books
- lego duplo
- maybe playsilks

No idea if he will like these but were all suggestions off this board!
/hillary

Raidra
10-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Colwyn got a cheap plastic ride-on toy from TRU at Xmas when he was 14 months old. It's been played with every day since. We now have four ride-ons (two cheap ones, the Mickey Mouse airplane one, and a plasma car), in addition to the Roddy horse. The boys play with these literally all day. When Colwyn first got his, it took him a while to get good at it (several of his same-aged friends were the same way), but Lachlann has been a pro since before his first birthday, since he has to keep up with Colwyn.

I doubted the value of playsilks, too, but they get played with a lot here. I'm not always sure what they're doing with them, but they're definitely getting used. :) We have two "real" playsilks and then several cheap silk scarves we got at AC Moore.

Colwyn really liked Little People a lot at that age, but mainly just the vehicles and people. Maybe the minivan or airplane?

Lachlann plays with Colwyn's Thomas stuff a lot, but usually ends up destroying the track setups. He likes making the trains go down hills and through tunnels.

How about a tent or tunnel? Both my boys started to get really into their Playhut stuff shortly after turning 1.

I dunno, I'm pretty much at a loss for what to get Lachlann for Xmas. I'm going to get him a little flute, a harmonica, and a drum, and then some doll stuff that's intended for both of them. Beyond that, I dunno.. we seem to have everything under the sun already.

brittone2
11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
These are all awesome suggestions too. My DS really enjoyed his play tent/tunnel set (the Ryan's Room Mambo Combo Costco sold last year). He got it around 20 months I think? He would have definitely enjoyed it a few months sooner. Great toy w/ lasting play value, and costco sold it for 25ish. They have a different version this year (Maze Craze?) I believe.

buddyleebaby
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
just wanted to say they are running a westmusic coop if you are in the market.

You got some great suggestions, i think!