PDA

View Full Version : HABA play food

kijip
10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Why the heck is it so insanely small? I remembered last night *why it is NOT for younger kids* when Toby had a little tot friend over who tried to swallow one of the cherries. It really could have ended in tears had I not been RIGHT there. I was freaked out to the point where I took all of the HABA toy food out of his kitchen stuff and put it in a separate box. I need to make sure I can put it away when smaller friends come over to play. Toby is three and past the point of mouthing things, but it would seem wise to make that stuff a bit safer for younger friends, siblings etc. Besides that some things are so small as to be totally unrealistic- the baguette that looke like a roll for a baby doll for example.

ellies mom
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it is freakishly small which is part of why we don't have much of it. But when you you at the scale of the freakishly small pans and bowls, they sort of fit. But we did end up with the M&D food partially because of the size.

holliam
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I think they did it to scale things to kid size and to fit in the kid-size dishes, etc. I really don't plan on getting any of it except for the tea bags, which we already have and are normal size.

Holli

icunurse
10-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree. It all looks so cute until you actually look at the measurements. We are going to order a couple of things for DS, but not much due to the size. I guess we will be sticking with the M&D stuff.
Traci
~Mom to DS 02/2004~
Hoping, waiting...

brittone2
10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
We have a mix of Haba and M&D food. The haba is nice for DS to actually "cook" with (he likes being able to put several small things in one pan) but definitely a choking hazard for little ones. He was able to handle it fine from 18 months onward, but now I'm dreading having to put it out of reach of DC #2 :( That will be a whole different adventure ;)

mum1day
10-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Funny you should mention this. I wanted to buy a ton of stocking stuffers for DD and started thinking they pieces were just so small and that worried me! I ended up getting larger things like the butter, the jam, the sardines, and the eggs. We have the tea bags now. It's crazy how small the stuff is!

saschalicks
10-31-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry but this post made me laugh. Only b/c your so right about the unrealistic sizes.

However, on a more serious note, I'm really glad you guys posted this. I was wondering if I should be getting DS#1 food, but with it being so small there is no way with DS#2 in the house that will be happening. I'll have to check out M&D food. I really want to wait until he asks for it.

mommyoftwo
10-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Last year I was able to get some M&D food on clearance at toys 'r us after christmas for $6. Also the pizza set and the portable kitchen. I'm hoping I'll luck out again this year. I bought several things and used them for b-day gifts this year. I'm hoping to get lucky again this christmas.