PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to buy the older versions of Fisher Price toys?

funda62
11-01-2006, 09:03 AM
You know the ones without the "upgraded" weird animals? Is there a place online that still sells them?

Thanks!

neeter
11-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Hmmmm....ebay?

buddyleebaby
11-01-2006, 11:36 AM
which one are you looking for? i just went through the same thing.

the toysrus website had some of the older models as of a month ago. i got the "old" noah's ark from them, after scouring b&m stores with no luck. I had to go to e-bay for the extra animals, though. They were nip anyway and with shipping it actually worked out to be cheaper than toysrus.

Raidra
11-01-2006, 12:42 PM
No advice, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like those new animals. They're a pain in the neck.. my boys love ripping the hair out.

ehmom
11-01-2006, 01:27 PM
i guess they didn't ask any mom's how they planned on keeping those new animals clean before they redesigned them. they look like they could get pretty gnarly. i did see the noah's ark on tru about a week ago. good luck!! oh, i also got the nativity set and the shepards set from fisher price on line, and they are the old kind of animals.

kayte
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
I would like to go even farther back in time to the wooden people... I wish I had the LP from when I was a kid!!

holliam
11-01-2006, 03:09 PM
I know. *sigh* My in-laws kept absolutely everything. They have tons of the buildings, people, etc. The grandkids all love playing with them. I realize they are supposedly a choking hazard but they were far more open play back then.

Holli

ehmom
11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
oh, i know the really old ones are the best. the only place i know to look are on ebay and antique malls. i did find the playmobil take-along house. it looks alot more like the old lp house than the new fp ones. they also have a take-along barn that is really cute. maybe fp will see all the old sets going for big bucks on ebay and come out with a retro line. now that would be awesome!

kayte
11-01-2006, 03:20 PM
A retro line would be great. I LOVED that dog they had--black with a red collar and plastic stuck out ears!!! I remember getting in trouble for chewing on the ears!

LOL

LisaMom2Allie
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow, I thought that I was the only one that would chew on the ears. I also chewed off the plastic pony tails on mine too! What were we thinking??

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

jennifer_r
11-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh, I love all the old LP sets - we had soooo many as kids (castle, house (mine had a yellow roof and blue siding), houseboat, circus, old lady in the shoe, school, hospital, sesame street, barn, airport, on and on). I always wanted the village but never got it :(. I think my parents still have them (my mom has a major packrat problem, no exaggeration) and I've been tempted to see if they would part with them. Tho, the choking hazard is a serious issue. DS (who is now 16) actually received a couple of oldstyle LP sets when he was young - FP was just starting to convert over to the newer style at that point.

But retro sets - I love the idea. I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

funda62
11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I was thinking of getting the playmobil house instead but I think its rated 3 and up. I don't like the big chunky figures either, espically because they all seem to be holding something.

I had a hand me down house and barn that I loved as a kid and would make up other buildings from boxes and blocks. I loved how the barn gate mooed when you opened it. I think they make way to much noise now.

The playmobil 1-2-3 playhouse looks one sided. Has anyone seen it IRL?

Thanks for all the help ladies!

clc053103
11-01-2006, 08:17 PM
I am enjoying the stroll down memory lane- I remember the dog!! And the girls had plastic hair "helmets" on the wooden peg heads!

I remember my school bus, airplane, airport, house....my absolute favorite though was my LP Sesame Street- complete w/ Mr. Hooper in his store!

They were most likely all a choking hazard- but they were my favorite toys ever!

kayte
11-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I had the school, school bus, the house and the parking garage. My neighbor had the Seemae Street and I wanted it too so bad! Also I used to love to ring the door bell on the house---it wasn't electronic--but you pulled down and it rang a bell inside.

I think I am going to forward this thread to FP and suggest a retro line (minus the choking hazard).

kcimato
11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
My grandkids were here this weekend and I had saved a few of the FP toys that my kids played with when they were young. The GK's had a great time with them and no one choked. I kept the House boat, camper, airport circus train ,and other items that escape me now.

We are originaaly from the town where FP toys were made and they have a store on their premisis. I remember seeing a few things they call vintage toys that they sell. They are mostly the pull type toys, dog,duck elephant etc.

Many years ago, I think FP was bought out by Mattel and that's when things started to change. My sister worked there for awhile and I remember her telling me that. At Xmas they have a giant display out front of the vintage toys.They also have a toy museum on site.

There's a good website www.thisoldtoy.com that shows all the different things that were made.

You might try calling the store in East Aurora NY to see what they have.

ehmom
11-02-2006, 12:34 AM
about the playmobil 123 house...there is an older version called the country cottage that has a bottom plate and a balcony to make it a bit more house-like. i almost got one off of ebay, but decided to get a vintage FP house. i think i'll just put newer people in the old house euntil dd is old enough not to put everything in her mouth.

julieakc
11-02-2006, 01:34 AM
I'd love to see a retro line too!

I had the school:

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-pages/900-999/923-playfamilyschool.html

and the farm:

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-pages/900-999/915-playfamilyfarm.html

The center where DS receives therapy has both of these....I had totally forgotten about them but when I saw them I was so excited (and jealous)... it all came back to me.

jennifer_r
11-02-2006, 07:52 AM
check out this site:
http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/T_year-0childhood.html
I saw "Julieakc" mentioned this link in her site as well, but I want it to get special mention, incase anyone misses that post. This site has just about every imaginable FP toy ever made and they actually sell some of the old sets, I believe. After looking over this site again, the LP sets of today just don't seem as creative (but definitely weirder with the new "hairy" animals) as these old sets.

BTW, I forgot I had the bus and the parking garage (which was one of my faves). I guess I was pretty lucky to have Sesame Street. I still wanted that darn village, though!
http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-pages/900-999/997-playfamilyvillage.html

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

luckymom
11-02-2006, 08:40 AM
If you just want the older animals, try the replacement parts at Mattel, looks like you can buy a bag of the older style zoo animals

https://store.mattel.com/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=12&item=21053

lucy

funda62
11-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I found some hurray! This afternoon I went first to the base exchange and picked up the garage (with the funky dog but I plan to cut his hair off, older DD said, "What are you supposed to do with a dog at a garage? LOL) and two packs of extra farm animals for the barn we already have. Then I went to Toys R Us. I usually don't buy anything there as the prices here in Germany can be as much as 2x what I pay online. But they had a double pack of the old farm animals that included the tractor and some vegetables for just $5 more than the packs I had just bought. Also they were having a buy two get one free, so I picked up the bus and the playground for birthday. So only one funky animal!

Thanks for the help everyone!

funda62
11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks I think I'll go ahead and order some.

brilliance2
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
I called Fisher Price for a chicken for my barn and they told me that they sell them in complete sets of animals. You have to provide them with the serial numbers on the bottom of your set. If you have a new set, you should find someone with an older version to get the older style animals, etc..

Natalie

clc053103
11-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I just checked out that site, what a riot!!! Appears I had an early house with the plastic stairs w/ a closet underneath- I totally remember loving that thing.

I remember my younger cousin (4 years younger) had the McDonalds! It was so cool.

Yes, I too would love a retro set.