PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Friendly X-Mas Tree Decorations?

annasmom
11-01-2006, 05:13 PM
We don't have a ton of decorations, but what we have are mostly glass and ceramic. I would like to get some that I can actually put at the bottom of the tree! Does anyone have any idea where I can buy child-friendly tree decorations? Felt, fabric, wood, knit??

geochick
11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
We always buy our decorations from Bronners. They have gazillions of ornaments to choose from made out of every material imaginable. Just one thought, you and your toddler could make salt dough ornaments and decorate them. They could be your bottom branch ornaments.

Here are some Bronner Licensed Items:
http://www.bronners.com/licenseditems.html

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
2 years ago I found those styrofoam balls wrapped in thread at Target (generic ball ornaments). I couldn't find them last year but you might find some there! Check early. I remember 2 years ago I bought them early in the season and they were gone before Thanksgiving.

You could try making ones. :)

Beth

eb1
11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Honestly, I have seen soft cloth, wood, metal, and straw ornaments everywhere that I see ornaments, from Pier One to Target to Pottery Barn and Christmas stores.

Target (and similar stores) also carry "unbreakable" balls that look very close to glass balls. I bought a couple boxes of these and put a lot of them at the bottom of my tree (and mix a couple towards the top too, so they blend)--you really can't tell that they aren't glass. These are inexpensive, durable, and look traditional.

Depending on your taste, you can also add on natural items like pinecones, fabric bows, garlands of cranberry or popcorn, gingerbread cookie ornaments, candy canes, photographs (make a paper frame).

Have fun!

HallsofVA
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I got a box of a dozen ornaments a few years ago that were like paper mache balls with the 12 days of christmas on them. I've also seen similar ornament boxes with angels, snowmen, and various other christmas themes. The balls are pretty, lightweight, and are simple with just the ball and a cord that's long enough to go around the tree branch if you don't want to use ornament hangers. I've been putting these ornaments at the bottom of the tree since they seem really toddler friendly.

As far as where to buy them, I've seen them at various places. Seems like they were at department stores, perhaps Michels, and other places with various holiday decorations.

Tondi G
11-01-2006, 07:20 PM
We have some wooden ornaments, some made from straw (stars, angels), some plastic that looks like glass from the 99 cent store (stars, pincones etc)...

crate and barrel has some cute stuff

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/rustic/christmas/v

I think I am going to pick up some of their kissing ball ornaments (my sister has them and they are super cute!).

HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Momof3Labs
11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Everywhere! I have a whole tree that is kid-friendly (glass stuff can be shaken off by a zealous toddler, or if the tree falls over) and I've picked up the ornaments pretty much anywhere you can buy ornaments.