PDA

View Full Version : Crib Height/Weight Limits? I have a toddler....

lmwbasye
11-04-2006, 02:54 PM
who is 2 now. He has never tried to climb out of his crib (knock on wood) and don't know that he could since he still sleeps in a sleep sack. Anyway, we plan on keeping him in his crib as long as possible since he's such a great sleeper and is contained, but a lot of cribs seem to have a 35" height limit.

Does anyone know why this is and if there is a true height/weight limit?

TIA!

niccig
11-04-2006, 04:33 PM
On one desperate night I climbed into the crib to get DS to sleep. I'm 5' 3" and with DS we weighed 160lbs. Our crib was fine. I wouldn't suggest using a crib with someone who that weighed that much, but as I said I was desperate.

Have a look at the manual that came with your crib or call the manufacturer. The limits probably have to do with the ability to climb out (get a leg over the rail) or the weight of a child jumping on the mattress. As long as your DS isn't way over the weight limit, like I was, I wouldn't worry. I plan to keep DS in the crib for some time, he's a good sleeper too and I don't want to mess with that. I bought a crib tent for when he does try to climb out.

HTH Nicci

JFC
11-04-2006, 05:13 PM
>On one desperate night I climbed into the crib to get DS to
>sleep. I'm 5' 3" and with DS we weighed 160lbs. Our crib was
>fine. I wouldn't suggest using a crib with someone who that
>weighed that much, but as I said I was desperate.
>

Teeeheee - Nicci, I'm snorting right now! I love it - I've thought about that, but was always to scared I'd get stuck in there! ;-)

To the OP, I hate to admit it, but my 3.5 year old (39" and about 36lbs.) is still in his crib - although tonight might finally be his last night. I always heard to switch them when the "chest line" reaches the top of the rails. Well, DS sleeps happily in his crib so he is still there - he can climb out, but we made it really clear that is not okay and if he did it again, that would be the end of the crib. He hasn't climbed out since... HTH!

niccig
11-04-2006, 06:18 PM
I've also done it in a pack n play. You just need to be short and curl up in a ball around DC, and be really really desperate as it's pretty cramped! Worked like a charm, DS fell asleep and then I could slowly and carefully climb out. I will do anything to get DS asleep when he's screaming in a hotel room!!

dules
11-04-2006, 07:52 PM
We switched DD recently at around 37.5 or 38 inches. I had not thought of height limits (ours was a HMD crib, no instructions) but she just started looking really long in there, KWIM? Plus she had "showed me" how she could get out, although she had never actually jumped. I would have left her in there longer, but she seemed ready and excited for a big girl bed so we moved her.

Do you think he could lean over the top (even in the sleep sack) and fall out?

Mary