PDA

View Full Version : Face front bookcase

jess
11-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Finally, I get to redo the playroom, and would like to put in a bookcase/shelf where the books face forward. I think that I would like a floor unit, rather than one which mounts to the wall, so we could re-arrange if we wanted. I was hoping that some of you moms would have experience with a shelf that you like (or don't like!). I have looked at the sling one at One Step Ahead, and though that it looked OK...Also, really liked the Help Yourself shelves at lakeshore learning (didn't like the high price, though...). Any opinions would be so appreciated!

kayte
11-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I had 3 of these in my classroom.

http://www.vernonlibrarysupplies.com/cgi-bin/vernlib.cgi/THBHT134.html

They were very nicely built and could withstand a lot of wear and tear.

With that said I bought several 4' picture ledges for my daughters room and mounted them in the wall. It looks really cue and it serves another perpuse--I can put books lower that it is okay for her to have and other books out of her reach.

I would also check Ikea if you have one near you. I briefly noticed last time I was there that they had a showroom set up as a kid's library.

HTH

american_mama
11-05-2006, 12:49 AM
There were some great ideas here, especially about using spice racks or vinyl rain gutters as shelves. Sounds crazy, but look at the awesome photos:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=56185&mesg_id=56185&page=&topic_page=1

mom to little e
11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I read through this thread and about the spice racks (LOVE that idea! So clever!).

We do have the One Step Ahead sling bookrack and I was really hesitant at first. I didn't think it looked all that great in the catalog in terms of quality but I went ahead and ordered it and took a chance. Both my husband and I have been surprisingly pleased with it ever since! It holds a good number of books and it is easy for both kiddos to get books out.

Maryann