PDA

View Full Version : DIY wood play Kitchen w/parts from Ikea...

emmasmama
11-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I've been inspired by past threads on this board and for what I could get for my money by doing it myself and thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

For anyone out there looking for a wood kitchen and who is interested in a natural wood finish, this is such a great and really not that difficult option (at least I'm hoping) ;)! It's also ridiculously inexpensive for what you can do. If you can put together Ikea furniture, you have the skills to do it.

I decided not to make it too complicated, so I bought IVAR pine unfinished cabinets, and then some feet and pulls in the Ikea kitchen section.

When finished, I will have a refrigerator, sink, cooktop/oven, and washer/dryer unit. I haven't decided how complicated to get with decoration yet (whether to paint to add realistic looking accessories with craft supplies from Michael's), but I think I will at least ask my dad if he can saw out a circle in the top of one cabinet for the sink and drop a metal mixing bowl in the hole.

The best part is that right now Ikea has their IVAR double cabinet that is 23" tall and 20" deep, just right for little chefs, on clearance, for $30 instead of $79. I had to hunt for it as it was mis-shelved, but what a deal! I bought all the cabinets for a total of $100 and that's giving me the extra one to use as the washer/dryer.

Here is a link to the cabinets at Ikea:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11309&langId=-1&categoryId=15886&chosenPartNumber=60033762

And here is a pic of the fridge cabinet:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36416.jpg

And the double cabinets I bought two of on sale that will become the sink/oven and the washer/dryer.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36417.jpg

HTH and I'll post more pics in progress and when finished if anyone is interested.

annasmom
11-07-2006, 03:57 PM
WOW! Good luck! I cannot wait to see your finished pieces!!

DebbieJ
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I think it was zen_bliss who did something similar one year.

Oh yes, I have the linky saved! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=29036&mesg_id=29036&listing_type=search

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

emmasmama
11-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Yes! She was my inspiration! My refrigerator will be pretty much the same as that one except that I'm not going to saw the door in two pieces even though I really like the idea. I'm afraid my little troublemakers will be fighting over something and pinch one of the other ones fingers in that if I did it that way.

And I looked at the tv cart to use as the sink/stove area, but decided to go with the double cabinets instead because they were taller and on sale at an awesome price! My kids are pretty tall though, so I'm aiming to have something that will work really well for them both for the next few years and give us extra hidden storage in our play area that opens into the kitchen and the dining room in our house.

MMMommy
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Kudos to you! Please do share progress pics, as I would love to see them! What lucky girls you have!

zen_bliss
11-09-2006, 04:04 AM
hurrah! another DIY IKEA mum!

the kitchen is still going strong. i just upgraded to taller legs this week. i bought a few sizes of the silver ones that use the same screw-on base (forgetting name right now) so i can switch them out as she grows.

thanks for the tip about the cabinet on clearance! i'm going to have to see if there are any left, and maybe DD will get another component for christmas!

emmasmama
11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes! Your pictures and details totally inspired me! The more I looked at pics of natural wood kitchens, the more I thought a lot of them just looked like scaled down cabinets with a few details added. Some are fancier, but many are so simple. That led me to thinking about Ikea, which led me to searching the forum for ideas and lo and behold there were your posts. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post all that info - I am totally stealing some of your ideas, which were brilliant by the way!

I'm doing a few things differently because of my kids being on the tall side, but you were the one who led me to look at the IVAR stuff, which ended up being such a good deal because of the sale on that one cabinet. I had really wanted to do a front loading washer/launderette but was figuring I wouldn't be able to afford that AND a kitchen... and with this cabinet I can actually do both washer and dryer and kitchen cabinets for such a steal. I haven't figured out if I'm actually going to try and make some see through circle cutout for the washer/dryer doors, or something else - still in the brainstorming stage on that one. I thought about using some version of your plexiglass picture frame idea and just nailing it to the outside of the cabinet to give the idea (maybe even putting a picture of clothes washing and drying behind the frame for impact). I haven't seen a round shaped frame though, but guess I could use a square or rectangle just to give the idea. I also haven't hit the craft store yet, so who knows what I could turn up there.

Oh, and I did get those same metal feet that you're talking about - I got the shorter size since the cabinets are already 23" tall and I'm thinking that will be plenty to grow on!

Thanks again for your wonderful post!

american_mama
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Here's another great DIY kitchen from a BBBer. It's the second to last post on the first page, with some more explanation in later posts.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=45868&mesg_id=45868&listing_type=search

For what it's worth, I am playing with the idea of doing one like this for Christmas. Bed Bath and Beyond and Lowe's both have white, Closetmaid type cabinets with doors for $20. They could be toy stoves, cupboards, or the fridge part of a fridge. I believe Home Depot has a small 2 shelf organizer (without a back or door) that could be a freezer compartment. Closetmaid at Lowe's and Target sells small square doors, but you'd have to verify the sizes.

Does anyone know if you can paint the white melamine surface that is on these organizers?

emmasmama
11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
If you want to paint that kind of cabinetry I think you need to sand it some first for the paint to adhere... just enough to rough it up... that's what I did when I painted the kitchen cabinets in my old house. You also need to prime them I think, but depends what kind of paint you want to use.

emmasmama
11-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Oh, that kitchen is super cute too! I had come across that one before but then couldn't find it again - thanks for posting! I think the idea to use the Closetmaid cabinetry is an excellent idea. I like the idea of using chalkboard paint somewhere on the kitchen, but haven't decided for sure yet. They also have these really cute mini-chalkboard cabinets at Ikea that would be great hung on the wall above the kitchen for "pantry items". Honestly, it is so much fun doing it yourself and accessorizing. It's half the joy of it!

zen_bliss
11-11-2006, 02:15 AM
if you use zinnser bullseye 1-2-3 water based primer you don't have to rough it first. you can use that as a primer for any slick surface. i used it while PG to paint a very-varnished dresser that there was no way i was going to sand and prime! i read about it on a toymaker site.

snagged the last cabinets in stock on your good tip! i'm going to sit down with the plans and figure out how many assembly seating holes i'd have to re-drill if i take it to a lumberyard and lop off 7" of everything to make it more square.

emmasmama
11-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Glad you were able to get them! I actually went twice because I couldn't even find them on the shelf the first time - they were in a totally wrong spot. That's the thing with Ikea - it makes some things so much easier and cheaper, but man, sometimes they make you work for it!

C99
11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
FYI, at my IKEA, they have a child's area set up with DIY play kitchens made from stock IKEA pieces. They include all the stock parts and pieces in the descriptions, so it would be very easy to replicate it yourself at home.

funda62
11-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow, I am seriously impressed with all of the DIY kitchens. I love to do this kind of project so now I am seriously inspired for next christmas! LOL. I also like to think ahead. I'll be looking in the discount section of Ikea all the time now, they usually have some cabinets of one type or another.

Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures.

emmasmama
11-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes, I think I read that in a past post. Ours doesn't have the play kitchen set up, but what a great idea on their part. I wish ours had it... my kids LOVE playing at Ikea.