PDA

View Full Version : World Market? Maybe off topic

jestagrl79
11-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Anyone have any experience with World Market? I saw in the Bargains area they are having a sale soon, so I went and looked. Some good deals! What is the quality like? How is their customer service?

Thanks!

Meg

http://b1.lilypie.com/mrXym5/.png

holliam
11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
It's the same place as "Cost Plus" if you've heard that name. Not sure how best to describe it. They usually carry cool funky things from around the world, food, furniture, home furnishings, some toys. I don't think I go there for top quality. I go there for unique funkiness. They usually have fun holiday and seasonal items too. Good wine prices too.

To me, it's kind of like a Trader Joe's for household items.

Holli

Momof3Labs
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Kind of like a Pier One, but much cheaper. I like their food section - great for making unique gift baskets for the holidays!

MarisaSF
11-07-2006, 11:07 PM
I love their stuff. I like to get smaller things there -- unique napkin rings, candles, that sort of thing. I have my eye on some bamboo floor mat I saw there too. Good reminder. When's that sale? I'll check out the bargains forum. Thanks!

C99
11-07-2006, 11:57 PM
It's like Pier 1 used to be, but cheaper. A lot of its knick-knack/smaller items are imported from 3rd world countries, so the quality varies. However, I've had great luck with the stuff. We have 4 kitchen chairs from Cost Plus World Market; they are 7 years old and look great. I've been very happy with all of my Cost Plus purchases. The outlet center is not too far away from me and it's my favorite place to go out in the suburbs - the prices there are even *better*.

sdbc
11-08-2006, 09:21 AM
I think their quality is good, but it varies from item to item. They sell stuff from all over, so it's not just 1 brand name. DH buys wine there (decent prices) and we have a wood wine rack/side table from there that is good quality.
Oh yeah, and they have Black Jack gum!

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

kelly ann
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
They have outlet centers? How do I find out where one is?

TIA!

caheinz
11-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Caroline -- is that the one in Fox Valley? Is it well worth the stop?

I haven't been in one since shortly after DS was born. I've been by that one lots, but never gone inside...

icunurse
11-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Um, yes....reveal the location, please! ;)
Traci
~Mom to DS 02/2004~
Hoping, waiting...

emmasmama
11-09-2006, 12:23 PM
My friends bought their dining table and chairs from there - it's a set that's pretty big and comes with a long bench. It's every bit as cool and substantial looking as things I see in the Pottery Barn catalog for a fraction of the price. They've been really happy with it.

I also saw a few wood toy items around Christmastime last year, kind of near where the soaps and small items were. Also some cute bath toys - those little rubber ducks and frogs and things for really cheap!

DrSally
11-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I like them. I think of them as a lower cost Pier 1. Their gourmet food section is nice, and their glasswear has held up well for me. I like that you buy individually, I have gone back several times when a glass broke. Too bad there are none around where I am now.

caheinz
11-10-2006, 12:29 AM
There definitely is one on the north side of Westfield Fox Valley. I've never been in it, but since it's on the loop around the mall (between TRU and Kohl's), I've been past it many a time.

I don't know if this is the one that Caroline goes to, though. It's not very close to the city....

And I checked the web site: they don't seem to mention outlets on there at all.

C99
11-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I think there is only the one, in Aurora. (I asked once.) It's separated by a wall from the main Cost Plus World Market near Fox Valley Mall (same parking lot, but on the outskirts of the parking lot).

They often have great clearance deals, with a percentage off on top of the clearance price. Most of the furniture is scratch & dent, but if you are not looking for a specific item, you can find fantastic deals on textiles, collectibles, home decor, kitchen stuff, books, etc. Some of the deals I've scored are:

- an Indonesian wall hanging, originally $40, purchased for $5
- wall hooks, originally $5-7, purchased for .50-$1
- book on jam-making, originally $20, purchased for $3.50
- King-sized Indian duvet cover, originally $150, purchased for $30
- toys originally $4-12, purchased for .25-.50
- silk/wool throw pillows, originally $20, purchased for $2.50

HTH

DebbieJ
11-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Hmm....I'm going to be in the area tomorrow. I feel a World Market stop coming on. :)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

MMMommy
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree with Laurie regarding dining sets at Cost Plus. I've seen many beautiful, solid wood dining sets that rival those of Pottery Barn and other places that sell wood furniture. Their other solid wood furniture pieces are good too--coffee tables, side tables, chairs, etc. Not sure if you are in the market for furniture, but their solid wood furniture is great for the price.

Jen841
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Our dining room set is from here. We looked all over for a round table that could expand for our old kitchen, and now we use it as a dining room piece. Ironically we have a china cabinet from Marshall Fields that matched it perfectly! The table has now been in 3 homes for us and is still in GREAT shape. The downfall is you have to assemble everything, so time and effort are required more here.

We bought it all 6+ years ago. A week later they had a sale 20% off all furniture, so they refunded me the difference!