PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing? Gifts for boy #2...

DCmommy
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Does anyone else have this problem with same-gendered second children? DS #2 will be almost 17 months at Christmas, and DS #1 will be 4 in January. I feel like "bad mommy" because I can't think of much to get DS #2 for xmas. DS #1 was the first grandchild on both sides and EVERYONE (grandparents, great-grands, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends) went CRAZY (particularly my mom!), and I feel like we have EVERYTHING. I'm so grateful that our families and friends have been so generous, but I'm wary about #2 getting the short end of the stick just because he's second, and I don't want his brother to get all the new stuff while he just gets hand-me-downs, but I don't know what else there is to get for him.

Here's an abridged list of the major items we already have:
- every little people set ever (seriously, we have ALL of them)
- train table with more trains and add-ons than we have space for
- duplo's (plus thomas and dora duplo sets)
- mega bloks (plus pooh, buzz lightyear, and pirate ship sets)
- double sided easel, tons of art supplies (thanks to my bro the MFA)
- mickey mouse ride-on, TWO radio flyer ride-ons, radio flyer rocking horse, radio flyer walker wagon - MIL buys a new one every year and I seriously have no more space for ride-ons and wagons!
- kettler tricycle
- little tikes workbench, store
- leap frog learning table, drum, phonics radio
- potato head and all sorts of add-on sets
- peek-a-block & roll-around sets (DS #1 LOVED these, #2 could care less)
- PBK play kitchen with food, a bunch of accessories
- a disney dream desk PC with lots of software
- step two playhouse, sandbox, basketball hoop, kids table
- rainbow swing set
- wooden blocks (both small alphabet and larger building blocks)
- musical instrument sets (guitars, tambourines, maracas, xylophone, piano, etc.)
- miscellaneous: puzzles, bead mazes, shape sorters, play phones, keys, play-doh sets, balls, vehicles, board books, regular books, a million videos

What I'm thinking of getting:
- neurosmith music blocks and/or musini
- a kid-sized broom (don't ask, but he's OBSESSED with brooms)
- leap frog animal farm magnets
- an old laptop that he can bang on and i don't care about (he's always trying to play with the desktops and i'm really afraid he'll break one)

I know you mommies know everything! What am I missing and/or what would you recommend? Our families are starting to ask for gift suggestions and I'm at a loss, since they all want to buy a "fun" toy and not just clothes, gift cards, or savings bonds!

TIA!

hazel
11-07-2006, 11:22 PM
What about a name train? (wooden train spelling out the child's name) That way it is personalized to him and not a hand-me-down!

annasmom
11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
I know this is really hard, and it seems like you truly have EVERYTHING, lol! What about some playsilks, gertie balls, some new stacking cups or rings?? Some new books?? A toy broom (my ds LOVES his broom). I will keep thinking . . .

ETA: Oops! I see you have the broom covered! I guess little boys really love brooms!!

holliam
11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
What about some classes or memberships? A baby doll?

Holli

muskiesusan
11-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, I have the same problem and I often find myself giving DS2 things that DS1 would want b/c we don't need to expand on toys for him. It also gives him a stake in DS1's stuff, thus promoting sharing!

How about some games (Haba or Cranium ones & Zingo to name a few) or the Lauri Tall Stacker Pegs and Pegboard. A playstore and cash register has always been popular here. Or the M&D Mailbox might be a good gift as well. DS2 has never been really oral, so I was able to introduce all of these items at about the same age your DS2.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04