PDA

View Full Version : Cedarworks Playset -- how does it look when it ages?

jasmine_bay
11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
From the recommendations on this board, I'm considering purchasing either a Cedarworks set or their less expensive Playaround set, but I don't know how it looks when the cedar ages. I like the idea of not having to sand/seal the playset every few years, but I'm not sure I would like the aged look. There are some fences in my neighborhood that aren't stained and they look kind of "shabby". I didn't know if the playset would have that shabby look without sealing it. Does anyone have pictures of their set that they can post? Thanks in advance!

dr mom
11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Our set is just over a year old, and has survived a North Carolina winter and tons of rain.

When we first put it up, the boards looked very fresh and new - the bright yellow-white of newly cut lumber. The cedar has weathered into a silvery grey color. It no longer looks brand-new, but I wouldn't characterize it as shabby, either. I expect the color to darken a little more over the next year or two.

Pics:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36444.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36445.jpg

dules
11-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Ours has not weathered much since we put it up in July but I found this thread helpful in deciding:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=201454&mesg_id=201454&listing_type=search

I love how "soft" the wood feels.

Mary

annasmom
11-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Mary, how does your dd like your set?? I know I hounded you with questions in the Summer - we never ended up getting a set. I am hoping I can convince my dh to *look* at some sets this Winter in hopes that we can catch a sale.

jasmine_bay
11-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Cindy, your set looks great. Thanks for posting the pics. It looks like it will age to a white/silver instead of the streaky black that I feared.

dules
11-10-2006, 03:36 PM
We love it, DD loves it, and the neighborhood kids love it. It's not unusual for sitters/moms to wander over while we are playing, and on occasion people have even told me that they stopped by to see if DD wanted to play, we were not home, so they went for a quick swing. LOL. (We don't have a fence and this doesn't phase me since the kids are supervised by a parent or sitter).

To the OP, I saw a local set that was a few years old and I really liked what it looked like. I've seen some other sets locally (Rainbow and a few others) that have not been properly cared for (for years) and the wood shows it. Too bad really. Also the fences etc. that you see are not likely to be made of Northern white cedar unless you live in a super upscale neighborhood.

Good luck choosing!

Mary

dr mom
11-11-2006, 08:58 AM
You can also contact Cedarworks about their "See A Set" program, and they will find playset owners who live near you and have the components you are interested in (a tower, a climbing wall, etc) so that you can go check out a set in person.

This was very helpful to me in deciding to buy the set, because I was concerned DS would be too small to play on it, but he had no problem climbing up the SureSteps. It also helped to visualize the size of the set, and I was better able to plan where we would fit it in our yard.

dr mom
11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Mary, I've been meaning to email you and say thanks for sending the trapeze. DS is having a ball playing with it. Did you see that Cedarworks is having a holiday sale through 12/29, 20% off everything for playset owners? Good opportunity to get the swing to go with the If you are looking to add onto your set and get the Choozaway! :)

lmintzer
11-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Our set is 3 years old. It definitely is not black and streaky but is decidedly grey. It's not terrible looking but doesn't have that beautiful new cedar look. But we're fine with it, because we are not the kind of people who are likely to take the time to refinish a set.

I'll try to snap some pictures when I can. Actually, here is a photo where you can see the color behind my older ds.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36464.jpg