PDA

View Full Version : Is a Kidkraft train set a waste of money?

Alys the Cat
11-10-2006, 11:10 PM
We're getting DS a Nilo activity table for Christmas. So far, we have a bit of Brio track, and my mom picked up a Thomas set -- Harold's Mail Delivery -- at a great price.

I also bought an 87-piece Kidkraft train set for $39 at Tuesday Morning, thinking that would be a good foundation. (It has bridges, a crane, etc.) But after reading all the posts about the Costco table, and the poor quality of the Kidkraft trains it comes with, I'm wondering if I should just return this set and stick with Thomas/Brio.

TIA for your advice!

new_mommy25
11-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I would keep it if you like to build lots of different layouts. The KK trains and destinations aren't all that but the track is just fine.

niccig
11-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Are you me? I bought the same set this morning at the same store and was about to post if it was a good deal or not! What a coincidence.

I know that the KK sets aren't the same quality as Thomas or Brio, but I thought that for the price, it gives us a lot of track and some items to use to see what DS likes. If DS gets into Thomas, then I can buy pieces from that collection. If he's fine with this set, then we're done for only $40.

Nicci

ETA we also have the Nilo Table....everyone comments on how it's such a great looking table.

FiveLittleDucks
11-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Okay, now you're both freaking me out! I bought the same set the other day and was just looking for some feedback on it, too. I figure the same as Nicci; I want to see if he really gets into it before I lay out a ton of money.

I'm seriously thinking about a Nilo table now. Thanks so much!

pittsburghgirl
11-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I would keep it to. We have the Costco set from last year and we use all of the track and the bridge. Not so much the buildings and trains, but for the price it was definitely worthwhile. The track has held up well, so far only a couple of pieces have broken (both glueable).

The cost of track can really add up if you want to be able to build large layouts.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png