PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trees

MissyAg94
11-11-2006, 06:26 PM
We are having Xmas early at our house b/c DH is going to deploy. Can anyone recommend a good place to get a nice, good quality artificial Xmas tree? We usually get live trees but I need one ASAP. Thanks.

MMMommy
11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Costco usually has good artificial trees--prelit ones too, which is convenient. We have one from many years ago (not prelit) from Target. I would check out both places to see if anything suits you.

new_mommy25
11-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Costco and Sears have trees for sale in the store right now.

SpaceGal
11-12-2006, 12:42 AM
We actually ordered ours from Amazon a nice 7 or 8 foot tree-pre lit for about $79. They have a few to choose from and what I like is the tree is delivered and no tax so it's easy to just get at the door and tada tree.

MissyAg94
11-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks, y'all. I am off to get one.

fauve01
11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
We got the 9-ft prelit tree at Costco last year and are SO happy with it. we had several guests ask where we got such a beautiful real tree! This tree is so much easier to put together than the old fake tree i bought 8 years ago where you have to stick every branch in AND it wasn't prelit. the costco tree is three sections you put together and voila!

I was at Costco last week and they do have their trees out already.

HTH~
Anne + DD 10-03

MissyAg94
11-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Do you worry about the lights on the prelit tree going out. What happens if a strand of lights stops burning? I would love to buy a prelit tree for the convenience but worry about the lights.

kcimato
11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Definitley go with the prelit tree. I have had one for years and haven't had one go out yet. Godspeed to you DH as he gets ready for his deployment. My son and son in law just got back in Sept from their year long deployment. I'm glad you will be able to celebrate Xmas early.

My prayers go out to you and your family.

ellies mom
11-13-2006, 09:27 PM
There are two types of pre-lit trees. One type, the lights stay on even if you lose individual lights. The "Constant-On" by GE is an example of this type and the Costco one is a "Constant-On". The other type, you do lose all or most of the light if an individual bulb blows out. Not good in my mind. If you aren't sure what type you are looking at, just pull a bulb and see if the lights stay on or not.

Since we did get one of those Constant-on ones from Costco, I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure someday it may be a problem but hopefully, it will be enough years down the road that I'll still feel like I got my convenience worth.

fauve01
11-13-2006, 09:40 PM
well, i don't know if a whole strand quits, but if one light is out, the rest of the strand is still lit; it does not affect any of the rest. very cool!

Anne

MissyAg94
11-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Thank you. We always dread deployments but it is definitely harder now that we have a baby. Not for her, fortunately but for us. Glad that your son and son-in-law are home. I know how relieving that is!

MissyAg94
11-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone. I am going for a prelit tree and I will test a light at the store!

MissyAg94
11-16-2006, 12:18 PM
I found a Constant On GE tree and it is beautiful. The lights look so much better than I could ever do. I had never shopped for an artificial tree so I got sticker shock but I'm sure this won't be the only year we use it. We are decorating it this weekend and having Christmas right after Thanksgiving. Thanks for all of the advice.

calv
11-16-2006, 12:22 PM
where and what did you buy? we're getting a fake one as well and are also checking out the GE fresh cut ones. They look so real that we (both DH & I love them). I'm hoping to score on a good deal though

MissyAg94
11-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I got the GE Fresh Cut Spruce I believe. It is the one that doesn't look like a perfect triangle, IYKWIM. I can look at the box in the garage if you want me to. It is very pretty and I am normally not a huge fake tree fan. I did not bargain shop for this b/c I needed it ASAP. I ended up getting it at Home Depot but Lowe's and Sears also had them, just not the style I liked. The assembly was easy and I just took some time to spread the individual little branches out. It looks awesome because the lights are put on so perfectly. I really like this tree.