PDA

View Full Version : Can you paint kidkraft kitchen?

niccig
11-12-2006, 12:12 AM
So, I thought we were all set with the Target kitchen, until DH saw the Costco Kidkraft kitchen at a friend's place...so now DH wants us to look around and maybe get one like this. I can find several, but they're pastel with pink. Any chance of painting the pink parts - primer and then put another colour on. It would just be on the main cabinets, the pink accents are fine....

Thanks,
Nicci

niccig
11-12-2006, 01:27 AM
I found old posts that say you can paint the kitchen.

I made a list of kitchens for DH to look at, and he liked the Costco primary island the best. I didn't think we had the room for this, he thinks we do, either in DS's room or in the family room, if we move some things around. It's also good value with all the extra things to do, the microvwave, phone etc, the price is good and you can't beat Costco's return policy if it doesn't work out. So we'll try that one and see....

Nicci

MMMommy
11-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Here are a few primary and/or neutral colored kitchens that you may or may not have seen already--

I believe these are made by Kidkraft, but exclusive to these stores--

This one is supposedly on sale in-store right now for $179.99:
http://www.learningexpress.com/childrens_toys/partNumber_KDKLEKITCHEN/proj.html

Deluxe Primary Kitchen:
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=22063&category=798&mlc=

I do like the Primary Kitchen Island at Costco.com. I saw that one in-person at a children's furniture store and thought it was adorable.

niccig
11-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Karen,
Thanks for the reply. Who would have thought buying a kitchen would take this long! I do like that second kitchen.

DH thinks an island will suit us better, the 2 rooms the kitchen can go in don't have a lot free wall space to put a kitchen up against. Either windows, niche bookcases (built into the wall), floor vents or wall vents get in the way. He thinks we'll have more options with the island. I remain to be convinced, I can't judge space, but with Costco's return policy we can try it out and easily return - well as easy as trying to get it all back in the box can be!
Nicci

MMMommy
11-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Nicci--
I'm totally with you on this whole kitchen thing. I've been researching and fixating on the big kitchen purchase for weeks now. It will be my girls' big Xmas gift. I originally purchased a kitchen--the Marvel Education All-In-One Kitchen Island.

Update. Returned Marvel kitchen due to defective screws. Otherwise, construction and materials seemed really good. But we had too many problems with the screws and ultimately returned the play kitchen for a full refund. Probably just a defective set.

Forgot to mention that we too are totally low on space. I think my living room will become a mini kitchen after Xmas.

niccig
11-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Now that we've made a decision on the kitchen, I've moved on to accessories as well...I want DS to have enough stuff to play with, but not too much that it overruns the house, I want it to be of good quality, but the bargain hunter in me wants the best deal and no shipping costs. I'll waste HOURS searching, and looking IRL. DH said to just go to Target and the local indep. toy store as it'll probably save time...and you know, he may be right.

Target has some sets of pots with utensils, a cute toaster and a set of plates, silverware and tea set. This may be my best option. Unless someone else has a better deal.

Nicci

Mamma2004
11-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Nicci, we got the Costco Kidcraft kitchen in May and DH painted the pink doors, phone, backsplash "tiles" and knobs all a shade of green that works beautifully with the whole set. We got lucky as we just happened to have that green from painting a room so rather than spending money on another paint, we gave it a try and were really happy with the results.

DH had absolutely planned to prime but to be honest, he used the paint to "test" and never looked back. He just painted over it and it still looks great after six months of lengthy use each and every day.

FWIW, the set is an amazing deal with all that comes with it. We then went to Target for pot/pan/utensils/baking set w/potholders. It is still our most beloved and used toy in the house.

ETA: We also rec'd the toaster from Target as a gift and it's great!

Good luck!

Stephanie