PDA

View Full Version : A question about bed rails and box springs, and the Snugtuck

hudsonam
11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
We just got DS his big boy furniture yesterday at Ikea, and the bed will not have a box spring (platform bed). Does that mean there are no traditional bed rails that will work with the bed?

As far as the Snugtuck, is it all it's cracked up to be? I've seen good reviews, but then I saw some stuff about the owner posting here, and now I don't know who to believe! LOL. I really like the looks of it though.

TIA!

tarahsolazy
11-13-2006, 04:31 PM
We have a platform type bed for DS with an Ikea mattress. We couldn't find a standard bed rail that fit. My DH ended up making one. Barring a handy DH, I'd have gotten the snugtuck, I think. Or pool noodles under the fitted sheet.

dules
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
We have a low platform bed (no box spring) and an IKEA foam mattress. I took an old cotton quilt, folded it to approximately the length of a bedrail, then rolled it up tightly and put it under the mattress pad. I also put the old crib mattress on the floor next to the bed but so far the quilt seems to be all the "reminding" DD needs not to roll that way.

Mary

doberbrat
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
we're using a reg bed rail w/an ikea mattress & a platform bed. its not great. its somewhat stuffed in there and you cant move the rail down.

if you're not using an ikea bed, DO check the sizing carefully. it did not fit our bed at all (too bid) dh hd to 'modify' the bed and it was a royal pia b/c we got rid of our old mattres before realizing it.

our bed isnt big enough for a snugtuck.

nofeea
11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't know anything about the bed but I do have a snugtuck for DD #1 and I'm going to order another for DD#2. It takes a little practice to adjust it the right way on the bed (if I make the bed it's fine, but if anyone else makes her bed it always seems to be loose and about to roll off) but I love how soft and cozy it is compared with a rail. I guess it depends what you're looking for, but I'm satisfied enough to order another. HTH :)

mykidsmom
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
We have a bed w/o a box spring and found a universal bed rail by DEX at Right Start. It was $30 and folds down but won't fold down all the way due to the side rail of the bed. I wish it did fold down, but it is not that big of a deal.

It works great and is 48 inches long and 20 inches high. It is not on their website but we found it at the actual Right Start store. I googled it and found it on a bunch of web sites. Here is one of them:

http://www.shop.com/op/~Dex_Universal_Safe_Sleeper_48_x_20_Bed_Rail-prod-13237316-19626817?sourceid=57

Sillygirl
11-13-2006, 10:41 PM
I remember the Snug-Tuck review when it appeared here. I thought it was a ludicrous price for something that could be approximated by a $2 pool noodle. We recently looked at the IKEA beds as we get ready to transition out of the crib - I didn't realize they couldn't accomodate a rail. They do seem very close to the ground, though.

MarisaSF
11-13-2006, 10:45 PM
The pool noodle is a great idea! Right now, DD's "big girl" mattress is on the floor, but I want her to feel cozy in it, not just safe.

hudsonam
11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Thank you! I really like that the Snugtuck looks like a pillow and kind of blends in more, for lack of a better explanation, but at around $50, it's pretty pricey. It'll depend on what a rail costs with shipping, if I can't find it in a store, whether or not I go with that or the Snugtuck. Thanks again!