PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog

K-Bear
11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
DD will be 15 months at Christmas and I'm thinking of gifts to get her. Before, I always focused on Melissa and Doug, Manhattan Baby toys - the ones that didn't make any noise, encouraged open play, etc.

But I have noticed DD loves toys that make noise. She likes to press buttons, hear voices coming from the object she pressed the button on.

So I thought Leapfrog toys would be good Christmas gifts. Which ones do people recommend. I've been looking at the LittleTouch LeapPad, the Fridge Farm Animal Magnetic Set and the Learning Friends Phonics Bus.

Does anyone have any of those? Which would you recommend? They are good toys...aren't they? They seem educational - how bad can they be?

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Any of the ones you mentioned except the LeapPad (I have heard enough stories about it that makes me think it isn't worth the money). Other ones to consider...

Fridge DJ
Alphabet Pal
Baby Tad
Learning drum

And just an FYI...sometimes you can find Spanish or French language versions of the LF toys at the stores. You can also order them online through LF. Just mixed things up a little. :)

We have liked all the LF ones we have bought. I do think they are good quality and fun.

Beth

Momof3Labs
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I hated the caterpillar that someone got us, and DS1 never liked it. Loud and annoying!

The farm animals fridge set, OTOH, is cute and both of my boys like it. The fridge phonics are cute, too, but didn't hold DS1's attention at that age.

LarsMal
11-13-2006, 09:21 PM
My DS LOVES the Phonics Bus. He is 14 months now and when I change his diaper I sing "The A says" and he says "ah" (just like the song on the bus). We haven't gotten past the "A", but I still think it's pretty cool!!! He enjoys pressing all of the letters and hearing the songs/sounds they make.

We also have the Little Touch LeapPad that we got him for his 1st b-day. My husband thought it would be educational and fun. He hasn't had any interest in it until just this week. It's so-so...the books are kind of flimsy, and although they claim the pages don't rip, they do crumple up (a favorite past time of DS!). I think he'll grow to enjoy it more, but right now I don't think it was the greatest investment.

calv
11-13-2006, 09:27 PM
we're huge LF fans. we have the spanish lilly, and i forget what other talking frogs. I LOVE THEM ALL. we have the fridge farm, and alphabet.

the leap frog table is also great along w/the drum. :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2006, 10:25 PM
We put tape over some toys' speakers to help with loudness. I find LF toys to be better with noise b/c they have 2 volumes.

Beth

Momof3Labs
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Only helps until your kids learn how to slide the switch to VERY LOUD! Mine seem to learn it way too young for my sanity!

JBaxter
11-13-2006, 10:35 PM
We have the farm magnets, and fridge phonics along with Tad, lily, leap ball leap drum and learning table. The only thing we didnt care for was the baby leap pad book. My SIL has several of the other toys that we have played with and all have been a big hit and lasted well.

Dee150
11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
For DS, the Little Touch Leap Pad was totally not used (and I went overboard with the software). The Learning Table had been in use since he was 6 mos. old and very often. The sound can get quite jarring, so we used it only on the lower volume setting.

hanaum02
11-14-2006, 11:07 AM
We have the following:

- Fridge Phonics (LOVE IT)
- alphabet bus (like it)
- Learning Table (LOVED IT)
- Baby Tad (LOVED IT)
- Little Touch Leap Pad (liked it okay, but we went overboard with the software too and he only plays with it a little bit and always wants the book that it came with)

Michelle
Zach (9/3/04)