PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Kitchen Advice Needed -- WHICH ONE??

hillview
11-14-2006, 11:03 AM
So I have combed the archives in search of a wooden kitchen for DS. DS will be 18 months. I am wondering which kitchen you experts suggest. My mom is getting it for DS. Here are my parameters:
- wooden
- not pastel
- less then $300 (ish)
- mom like a lot of "stuff" so stove, oven, sink, fridge
- storage space for food etc with closing doors
- tallish (at 15 months DS is 34.5 inches tall)

Brands I have considered are:
Melissa and Doug
Elves and Angels
KidKraft
Constructive Playthings
Little Colorado
All but grown up

Please help. I am driving myself insane. Ok more insane then usual.
TIA!
/hillary

MMMommy
11-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I originally bought the Marvel Education Kitchen Island, but ultimately opted for the Kidkraft Lil' Gourmet Island.

Update: Returned Marvel kitchen due to defective screws. Otherwise, construction and materials seemed really good. But we had too many problems with the screws and ultimately returned the play kitchen for a full refund. Probably just a defective set.

Here is the Guidecraft one, which is solid wood--

http://www.thomasthetrainset.com/WoodenKitchenCenter.html

lilbit
11-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Not to hijack, but just wanted to thank you Karen for posting the Marvel link....I've had my eye on it at Jems Early Learning but it was too expensive for me at $325....however at $279 plus free shipping I think I can convince DH! :) Were you happy with the service from thomasthetrainset.com? I've never purchased anything from them before.

Thanks!!!

MMMommy
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Elisabeth--

I was pleased with my service at thomasthetrainset.com. I haven't opened up the box yet or set the kitchen up, so I haven't (and hopefully will not have to) encounter any customer service issues. What I can say is that the kitchen was delivered quickly--I ordered it late on a Friday afternoon, and it arrived the following Thursday. Also, Nan at thomasthetrainset.com told me that if there are any problems at all with the product, I can just give her a call. She was helpful and nice. Hope this helps!

zoestargrove
11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
That marvel one is my favorite kitchen I've seen!!!

This is killing me...I was completely convinced before seeing this one that our Melissa and Doug stovetop was kitchen enough for us...but, now I want the Marvel. LOL!

MMMommy
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Not to make any decisions any tougher for you guys, but I think the one at Babystyle.com is the same as the Marvel Education one, but in pastel colors. It is on sale right now in-store and online for $148.50. My local Babystyle had it in-store, so you could avoid shipping and surcharges by just picking it up there. But that is only if you prefer the pastel version. I'm pretty sure it is the same thing--not sure about exactly the same material, but the style looks identical in my opinion. Here it is--

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?pmid=17809&dept=2&sc=2248

I personally prefer the natural wood look with the blue, but that is just personal preference.

lilbit
11-14-2006, 03:39 PM
WOW, great price!!! I may have to trek into Providence tomorrow to check it out at Babystyle....I too prefer the gender neutral colors of the other one (esp since I don't know if DC #2 is boy or girl....) but that is such a nice savings....hmmmm.

mollyi
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I have been kitchen-obsessed lately as well. :) My criteria are very similar to yours - though I had a lower budget ($150ish) and had a preference for something that could go against a wall since I have the perfect place for it in our playroom. I ended up buying the primary Kidkraft kitchen at my local learning express.

http://www.learningexpress.com/childrens_toys/partNumber_KDKLEKITCHEN/proj.html

It was on "sale" for $180 - regular price $200. I had a coupon for 25% off one regular-price item, so they let me use the coupon on the regular price so I got it for $150.

gordo
11-14-2006, 03:53 PM
The Marvel Education Kitchen Island is $199.99 at the Constructive Playthings store - although it is $299.99 on their website.

MMMommy
11-14-2006, 04:12 PM
If you go to the Constructive Playthings School site, and type in "XX-7764" in the search field, you can pull up the $199.95 sale price for the Marvel kitchen online. I think they charge shipping (about 15% of the cost of the item) plus tax (depending on what state you live in). If you can find a store near you, all the better.

www.cptoys.com

MMMommy
11-14-2006, 04:18 PM
That's a great price for the Learning Express one, Molly. Did you get them to build it for you? My local Learning Express said that they will build the kitchens free of charge. Not sure if that is the case with all of the stores. Kudos on your good price!

mollyi
11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
No, they didn't say anything about building it for me...I didn't think to ask about that. It came in a surprisingly small box.....I guess this is not a project that dh and I should save until Christmas Eve! :-)

curlytop
11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Babystyle used to have this kitchen in a different color scheme. It was more gender neutral. It was a dark sage, cream, red, etc. It looked really cool - matched the food and appliances they still sell.
I was going to call them to see if this is somehow still available. Really it's a moot point for us, we live overseas. Sigh...no kitchen for us.
Maybe something worth checking into though.

lilbit
11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Well...incase anyone else is interested here is a little update...

the Babystyle one is available online only. They have a demo in the store so you can check it out in person.

the Constructive Playthings Marvel Island is available online for $199 but the truck shipping is a $70 minimum so it's just about the same as the thomasthetrainset price of $279 which includes shipping.

MMMommy
11-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Sorry Elisabeth! I didn't realize it was in-store only. I thought it was available in-store since it was on display. Sorry for making you trek out there! My apologies. :(

lilbit
11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh, no harm done at all! I called first!

MMMommy
11-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Update. Returned Marvel kitchen due to defective screws. Otherwise, construction and materials seemed really good. But we had too many problems with the screws and ultimately returned the play kitchen for a full refund. Probably just a defective set.

marchmommy
11-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Where can I get a LEarning Express coupon???? My nearest store is a 30 minute drive--I need to make it worth the gas/time!