PDA

View Full Version : Blocks - need to decide quick. :)

dules
11-14-2006, 05:37 PM
You may have seen that I found the Guidecraft 32 piece block set today at Marshall's for $16.99. I scooped it up and came home. Then all day I've had blocks on the brain. LOL.

So....I held an eBay Thanksgiving Sale of DD's closet and put up a bunch of Hanna and Naartjie (see my Reality Layette habit, yikes) at great buy it now prices. Most of it sold within 5-10 minutes of listing. This gave me enough $$ to justify buying a 68 piece set of Barclay blocks (Beginner B) and still having a decent amount of $$ to transfer to the joint checking account like a good DW (cough).

So - WWYD? Return the Guidecraft and order the Barclays? Keep the Guidecraft and forget the Barclays?

Thanks for listening and opinions welcome!

Mary

annasmom
11-14-2006, 06:27 PM
O.k., I have a few questions for you. First, do you know your dd likes to play with blocks? And if so, how much? I mean is she *really* into building? Also, how long, and how badly have you been wanting barclay blocks, lol!?

If you know your dd is going to love building with blocks, I would get a bigger set. If not, I would give her the Guidecraft and see how she does.

The Guidecraft set is really nice, but it isn't huge. If my dc were really into the blocks, I may be tempted to get a bigger set. My dc aren't really that into blocks at this point. As it is, I may just pick up another set of the Guidecraft blocks anyway if I see them at Marshalls because it is such a good buy.

dules
11-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Thank you Eileen!

Well, I caved. I know *she* will never know the difference or care about one set vs the other and fully admit that I'm the one who really wanted the Barclays. (Blocks were my favorite toy as a kid).

I ordered the Beginner Set B, and then my mom called and said she didn't know what to give DD for her birthday. $100 is out of her range so instead I asked her if she wanted to split the cost with me and then she can wrap them and give them to her. So that's that.

I have the Guidecraft ones ready to return but might just "forget" and drop them at Toys for Tots instead. :)

Thanks for supporting my habit. ;)

Mary

zoestargrove
11-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Hooray for getting the set you wanted! I bet your daughter will really enjoy the time you guys spend building towers and the like together.

Mary, have you seen the Spiel and Holz rainbow nesting arches at atoygarden.com? They're a big hit at my house. My youngest son loves to build towers, but my oldest son likes to use them as tunnels for trains, mazes for little people, etc...and I envision they'll complement our traditional block buildings too by being fences or rooftops etc. I love the airy sculptures we can create with the arches that you can't build with the blocks.

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=291

we have the extra large set.

Kelly