PDA

View Full Version : CPSC Target Recall - some toys with lead paint

emmasmama
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Thought I should post this here in case anyone had any of these toys - if you scroll down on the link it shows you pictures of the toys that have been recalled:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07035.html

Does this worry anyone else that there are still companies producing toys with lead paint and that it actually made it through a distribution cycle for a major store? How did they discover it after the fact is what I want to know?

eb1
11-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Here's another one--Playwonder table puzzles.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07034.html

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I always thought the price on that brand was too good to be true so I never bought any. Actually, they looked pretty crappy compared to real brand name stuff usually.

I have been trying to stay away from cheap stuff lately if it is for ds. Like the dollar spot at Target, cute stuff sometimes but so many of them seem like prime candidates for recalls (lead paint, choking hazards).

It does surprise me thought that it took so long for them to realize this problem!

Beth

DAKnits
11-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Now I am totally freaking out. DD has been playing with that Kool Toyz Tiny Playground non-stop for months. I'm sure she's mouthed a couple of the pieces -- I can't even believe we still have to worry about lead paint! I had taken away the really small pieces and thought I had nothing to worrya bout. I'm going to have to just take that whole set away and hope she doesn't realize it's gone. I have a similar set I bought on ebay made by Barbie -- the Kelly Playground -- that I was going to give her for the Holidays -- maybe I'll just open that up and give it to her tomorrow, and tell her it's an upgrade.

I also bought all of the Play Wonder cutting food which she loves -- do you think there's lead paint in that, too? And also some of the wood cars in the dollar spot -- now I am really paranoid!

mommysammi
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
For peace of mind sake, you can ask your ped for a blood test to test for lead. Depending on where you live and how old your house is, most insurance will cover. Even if they won't cover, it's less than $100. HTH.

emmasmama
11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
I doubt the Play Wonder cutting food has lead paint in it since it's something that's been on the shelf for the past year or so at least and it's Target's main play kitchen brand. I am however a little concerned about those wood toys from the dollar section and think I am just going to return them since I never even gave them to my kids (were supposed to be stocking stuffers).

I was telling another mom friend I know about this recall and she pointed out that lead paint used be used all over everything when we and our parents were kids. I think most of the issue was with kids consuming actual whole flakes of peeling lead paint in old buildings where they were ingesting fairly large quantities. It seems to me that if you take it away, that would be best, but she's probably okay.

Lead testing was part of our normal workup at the ped where I used to live in Baltimore because *all* the old houses have lead paint in them buried somewhere under the layers of new paint pretty much. My kids always were fine despite the fact that we lived in a house built in 1920 and did lots of renovation work while living there.

Just ask your ped for lead test - should definitely be covered by insurance even if you don't live in an area where testing is required, especially since you have a concrete reason for wanting the test. I would just do it for piece of mind - it's a quick blood draw.

Sorry I caused this anxiety - usually these recalls seem somewhat benign, but I looked at those toys and thought, that's the sort of thing that a younger child who's still mouthing things might be playing with, not just an older child.

oliviasmomma
11-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if there is some sort of at-home lead test? I know this might sound paranoid, but I'd love it if there was one.

funda62
11-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Try contacting your local community health clinic or WIC office they may be able to help you find one.

Ceepa
11-16-2006, 04:03 PM
I know there are lead tests at home improvement stores but am not sure if they would apply to these situations. As in do they work on finished objects like toys or just walls of paint?