PDA

View Full Version : What age do they stop playing with the train table?

fauve01
11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
DH said no to the costco set last year, but i have kicked myself ALL YEAR because DD (turned 3 in oct) still LOVES the train tables whenever we go somewhere with one. so now i was thinking we'd get the costco set, but am wondering if i should skip the table and just get a nice train set she can use on the floor? Costco has a Thomas set that comes in a toy box (not a table), or would we still get use out of a train table. Just wondering what your experiences have been, if you have BTDT.

right now we have a little tikes plastic picnic table, and a little round table that are right next to DD's kitchen, where she sets up "dinner" and other stuff she is playing with, and we also have an old trunk that is our coffee table in another spot downstairs, but none of these tables are the right set up for trains.

note that we most likely won't be having another kid to use the table.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Anne + DD 10-03

redhookmom
11-17-2006, 11:52 AM
This is what I would do.

Get a train set. Get a coffee table the size of a train table from IKEA. That way it could be used for other things and in the future when the train table would be obsolete. (OR, your could have our train table that is stored away!)

My son stopped playing with the trains when he started K, he just started playing again at age 7. He is now more into the layouts. Making the rails come down off a table, circle around the dining room, things that could not be done on the train table.

My dd is 4 and also enjoys the laying out more, but that is most likely because that is what she watchs her big brother do.

kellyotn
11-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, they resell really well. :) So, when he's done, pass it on!

I do like the coffee table idea, too. If we had a larger living room, I'd have went that way so we could use it as a coffee table in the future. As it is, the train table works for us because when its old news, its outta here.

Our train table is used for trains, construction site setups, Little People villages, Legos, blocks, etc. My son is only two, so I foresee years more use. Like PP said, once they get older, they might get into creating their own train layouts, elaborate Lego setups, etc.

We do have other trains that he plays with on the floor too (the layouts are too large for the table), but there is something more "fun" about having them at table height. He seems to play with trains longer at the table than on the floor.

Good luck!

new_mommy25
11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
My DS turned three in Sept and still plays with the table every day.

amp
11-17-2006, 03:05 PM
When your kid is done with it, it can be used for other toys, and it WILL sell at a garage sale or on Craigslist. People are always looking for used train tables so they don't have to pay full price. I'd get it.

C99
11-17-2006, 06:51 PM
DS is almost 4 and he still plays with the train table. His tracksets are more complicated now, and I'm starting to see the appeal of selling the table and just having floor space for trains, but he also still plays with train tables that have static track in every store we go into.

lisams
11-18-2006, 12:36 AM
DD is 4 and she uses her train table ALL the time. We only put the train set out every few weeks because she loses interest after it's been out for a week, but she plays at her table a lot. It's just nice to have that surface for her to play at, especially with her doll house and horse stuff.

fauve01
11-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks ladies. i really appreciate your ideas. i'm not sure what i'm going to do--probably get the costco table if they still have it.

Anne + DD 10-03

MelissaTC
11-20-2006, 01:11 PM
My DS is 4 and plays with his every single day. It is the focal point of his life at the moment, LOL. He is very into building up these days so the table has definitely come in handy for that. My cousins still use theirs sometimes and they are 10 and 13.

Pegessen
11-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I am not able to help you as we are trying to decide if we should get DS a train table or jsut the Thomas train set. Do you by chance
know how much the Thomas set is at Costco and how many pieces it includes? I do not have a membership but my SIL does so I am wondering if it is worth making a trip over there next time she goes.

Thanks!
Peg