PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the train table or tall activity table from PBK?

kotzally
11-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I see that the tall activity table is quite a bit more expensive than the standard train table. Does anyone have either of these and want to comment on the quality?

Are there any other good quality tables that could be used for other uses after kids have outgrown trains?

Other suggestions? Buying a train table and train set has become quite the ordeal!!!

Elizabeth

dules
11-17-2006, 04:16 PM
DD's friends (twins) have the PBK train table with trundles and it seems really great. The grandparents bought it for the twins' older brother (5) and it still looked great when the 2 year old twins started playing with it this year.

You could always look for one that you'd like as a coffee table later.

Mary

neeter
11-17-2006, 04:41 PM
We have had the PBK train table for about a year...it is excellent. I think its one of the best buys we've made, as its in the family room as a coffee table. The trundles have really helped to maintain the clutter - we have toys in one bin and books in the other. My basic rule is that DS can have the amount of toys in the room that can fit in the trundles or on top -- anything beyond that gets parlayed into other rooms.

DS either uses the table for duplos, or using blocks to build a small town. His Thomas track is also on top...though sometimes he wants to build a big crazy layout and he'll do that on the floor.

I saw the tall table and I thought that might grow a little more along with DS (he is currently 37") but I think that looks less like a coffee table...depends on your needs.

HTH!

aim
11-17-2006, 05:02 PM
We have the train table in our living room as our coffee table and really it was the only train table that fit the bill of looking sort of adult once the mat and toys were off of it - I would say that the quality is good - not a piece of fine furniture but well built and it will last through several kids. Love the trundles for getting all of the clutter out of the way when needed and overall I would say that it was totally worth it for us

Amy
DS Bennett 1-14-04

cbklaz
11-17-2006, 05:53 PM
I am contemplating the same decision between the two tables at PBK. My dilemma is that after seeing them both in person at the store, I feel that the regular activity is not tall enough and the tall table is too tall. Most standard train tables are 18" - the PBK table is 15" and the Tall PBK is 24". Both tables are very good looking and appear to be of solid quality.

The storage trundles on the regular PBK table look great. However, the storage on the tall activity table is sold separately and looks a bit awkward. It is basically two drawers that sit underneath the table (but don't attach). If storage isn't a big deal for you, you can purchase the tall PBK table without the drawers and it will be less expensive than the regular PBK table.

I have been driving myself nuts on this decision (who knew train tables could be so stressful) and have actually contemplating buying the tall table and cutting the legs down to make the height where I want it (around 18-20"). Not sure if I will go that route in the end or not.

But in my opinion, both tables are nice pieces of furniture and you can't go wrong with either.

luckymom
11-17-2006, 09:00 PM
You might look at Land of Nod, they have a train/activity table that you can buy with an extra set of tall legs, so it turns into a regular kids table later. It has trundles, an option for a paper roll., and I thought it looked nice enough to be a coffee table. I don't actually have it yet, though, so I can't comment on quality.

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=149&f=664&pc=9

good luck
lucy

kaitlinsmommy
11-17-2006, 10:22 PM
The Land of Nod one looks nice, but there is no edge around it to keep trains & stuff from falling off it.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as everyone else; we're leaning toward the PBK train table for ds. Honestly, I think the tall one is way too tall. It didn't hit home until my daugther went to play with a castle on it yesterday & she said it was too tall for her and she couldn't reach it well. And she's almost 4!

kotzally
11-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Your right it is very nice looking, and lots of options with it. The only problem I see is that it doesn't have a lip to help keep the train stuff on the table!!

But I am really glad to see there are other attractive tables similar to PBK!!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

spanannie
11-18-2006, 02:51 PM
We recently sold our regular train table and bought the PBK train table (the shorter height). We LOVE it. It makes the room look so much better and we prefer the smaller size. I didn't realize how much room our other table was taking up, even though it holds the same sized play board. It was a great purchase.

Also, DS is almost 4.5 and it's plenty tall for him.