PDA

View Full Version : Which easel would you pick? (pics included)

SweetTooth
11-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I've narrowed it down to these two & would appreciate your feedback:
Lakeshore:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/full/ee333_f.jpg

and

Costco:
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/107391.jpg

As best as I can tell, they both have a chalkboard, whiteboard, are height adjustable, and fold up.

The differences are: the whiteboard on the Lakeshore one is magnetic (this a big plus for us) and the Kidkraft one has a paper roll (is this preferred over using clips?). I can get each locally, so the price would be $90 (Lakeshore one with coupon) vs. $60 (Costco one).

Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance for any input.

calv
11-17-2006, 03:53 PM
i like the costco one better because of the tray at the bottom for craft storage and stuff but if the magnet is a big plus than go for that.

didn't someone mention that you can purchase magnetic paint?

SweetTooth
11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, magnetic paint may be an option. I'll look into that.
Thanks!

C99
11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I like the top one. In theory, I like the storage table underneath on the KK one, but I think it would get in the way of a child using it to paint. I know that if it were adult-sized, that tray would be right at my shin level and I would not want to run into it every time I tried to paint.

MMMommy
11-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I like the Kidkraft one from Costco. I've seen it in person at Costco and admired it then--solidly built, attractive and a great price. The only negative is that it is not magnetic. Not sure about magnetic paint. Would magnetic paint ruin your ability to use the wipie board as a wipie board?

mykidsmom
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
I would get the Lakeshore one. I have this one and like the blue trays because they can not only hold paint but also crayone, chalk, etc. Looks like the Costco one has holes for paint only.

lisams
11-18-2006, 12:31 AM
I like the Lakeshore one. I don't like the holes for the paint cups in the Kidkraft one. DD likes to use watercolors, fingerpaint or sometimes just crayons/markers/chalk. Also, I like having the clip on the painting side - that way you can use various kinds of paper (finger paint paper comes to mind) also DD likes to paint things like paper plates or big cutout shapes, like I'll cut out a dog shape and she'll paint it in.

They both look very nice and sturdy.

new_mommy25
11-18-2006, 02:27 AM
I would choose the Lakeshore version. I prefer the paper clips over the roll. I don't have a roll on our easel. I decided against them because the refills can be pricey and they have to be an exact size, etc. I just buy the huge roll of butcher paper from Costco and DS uses that for art. I also don't see the point of the storage underneath. I think that it is a wonderful feature for an older child, but for a younger child it would just get in the way. I know that I would never use it for storage anyway, because I don't trust DS enough to just leave craft supplies around. I like the fact that the Lakeshore has a magnetic feature and it looks easier to clean.

sue_g
11-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Have you considered the ALex easel? I know that it is magnetic. I don't have it, but am considering buying an easel. Does anyone know if you two child can paint at the same time?

kaileysmom
11-18-2006, 11:20 AM
I had decided on the Costco one as well, and then I saw a post about the Lakeshore easel. I think we're going to go with the Lakeshore easel. With the $10 coupon, plus my sister's teacher discount it comes out to be not that much more than the Costco brand, and I really need the magentic feature. At first I really liked the paper roll, but like the PP mentioned it seems more economical to not have to keep purchasing the rolls. And I can see DD pulling the whole roll across the room like she does the toilet paper :) If the magnetic feature is really important to you I would go with the Lakeshore Learning easel. There aren't many that I could find that offer that feature without costing an arm and a leg. Like PP mentioned, I won't be storing anything where DD can get to it, so I wouldn't use the storage feature at all. Just my 2 cents.