PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store holiday books?

julieakc
11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
DS has various books for the holidays (Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Valentine's Day, etc.).

Do you leave them out all year with your other books, or do you put them away and just bring them out for the appropriate holiday?

OSURPh
11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
I put our holiday books away with our holiday decorations. I just got out a tote for DD filled with Christmas books and her Fisher Price Christmas sets. She was so excited to see them and has not stopped "reading" them. It's as much for me as it is for her--I don't really feel like reading about the Easter Bunny in November or pumpkins in July!

Laurie

mainepotato
11-17-2006, 10:25 PM
I put holiday books on a shelf in the bookcase with other books that I'm saving for later. The girls can look at them if they want to (they usually don't), but I ask them to pick from a different shelf for story time. When a season or holiday approaches, I pull the appropriate books and put them in a basket on their table.

I might consider putting the Christmas books away with the Christmas decorations, but I don't decorate much for other seasons and holidays so I'd probably lose those books or forget about them!

kayte
11-17-2006, 10:44 PM
As a former Kindergarten teacher, I have books for evey holiday from Christmas to the Flag day. I rotate books all year long, not just the holiday and seasonal books. I have sorted books into plastic totes across the top of DD closet labeled with what's inside. I rotate them to her bookshelf and the ledges in her room usually every other month. I considered storing the major holidays with our decorations but don't feel that summer in a Texas attic is a nice fate for a book.

zoestargrove
11-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I store the holiday books in the same plastic bins I store each holiday decorations.

Momof3Labs
11-17-2006, 10:54 PM
I also store ours with the decorations - it's like getting new books every year without spending another penny! Though sometimes the books linger past the holiday - we're still reading two Halloween glow-in-the-dark books nightly here, so they'll stay out as long as DS1 is in love with them.

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I keep most of them in the boxes with the corresponding decorations.

Beth

linsei
11-18-2006, 12:28 AM
We keep them with his other books in the bookcase. I usually get them off the shelf, over the summer one winter/Christmas themed book caught his eye and we have been reading it ever since.

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

new_mommy25
11-18-2006, 02:30 AM
I just keep them with the rest of the books. DS's books are all on a bookshelf, but we keep about 10 on the shelf of his bed and I rotate those out.

boys2enough
11-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I read about this either here or in one of the magazines: wrap the holiday books up like presents, and put them under the tree (that is, if you celebrate Xmas). Every day, the kids can pick one book to open and read with you.

I thought this was such a neat idea that I gathered up all our Xmas books and stashed them in a trunk. Well, I didn't take them out last year because I forgot! LOL. They are sitting in our basement now. Maybe now I should get off the puter and go wrap them up!

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

lilycat88
11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I've been reading Jingle Cats for the past 4 months....some weeks every night. :-)

Obviously, we keep ours in with all of the other books.

julieakc
11-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the responses....seems like this kind of falls under the "whatever works at your house".

I had tried putting the holiday books in DS's closet, but he kept digging them out, so over the last couple of months our bedime stories have included Easter and Halloween books. If I was good about decorating for the holidays I'd definitely store them with the appropriate decorations, but we don't have many decorations other than Christmas ones.

I do like the wrapping up the Christmas book idea....that thought had crossed my mind already so I definitely think I'll do that this year.