PDA

View Full Version : Baby Monitor for more than 1 child???

newmomto1
11-19-2006, 05:58 PM
What do you all do when you have more than one child in seperate bedrooms & want to use a monitor for each??
I still use a monitor for my son & our baby is due in Jan.
Is there any way to have a monitor in each room but only use one receiver??
TIA!
:-)

LarsMal
11-19-2006, 10:59 PM
There have been a couple similar questions about this in the past few weeks (including one from me)...

I didn't see anything about using one receiver, but the following monitors were recommended:

Sony Baby Call
Philips
Evenflo Whisper
900 MHz Fisher Price with Fisher Price Sound & Lights

I am also due in January, so I haven't tried any of the combinations. I know someone who used 2 Sound & Lights monitors and she labeled the child's name on each one, but she couldn't turn them both on at the same time. That seemed to defeat the purpose!!

newmomto1
11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for your reply!!
So re: the ones you mentioned...
Can ANY of them be turned on at the same time??
I would especially want them for night time, so I would need two on at the same time.
We have the FP Sound & Lights for my son already.

MarisaSF
11-19-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm curious about this as well. The FP Sounds and Lights receiver has an "A" and a "B" on it. Seems like you could set one monitor to be A and the other to be B and do the same with the receiver ends, right?

LarsMal
11-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I think they can all be turned on at the same time.

I don't know if there is a way to cut and paste posts, but if you to page "8" on this board, you will see the post called "2nd Baby Monitor". My original post is on page 12, but it didn't get as many responses as the other.

HTH!

MarisaSF
11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
I did a search for past threads. Not much info out there, but here's what I found so far:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=61949&mesg_id=61949&page=8

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=61432&mesg_id=61432&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=54214&mesg_id=54214&listing_type=search

AJs Mommy
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
We have been using the Summer Infant video monitor for 2 years in two seperate bedrooms and it is still working perfectly. Ours has 2 individual video monitors(cameras) that work on 2 different channels (so you can place them in separate rooms) and 1 hand held receiver (with color video screen). Unlike other monitors I've had that had lots of static and short life spans, this one has a clear color video and no static-and if you don't want to use the video, the screen shuts off to use as an audible monitor. Also, it came with a charger, which I plug in when I'm not using the monitors but, the hand held monitor runs all night without needing to be recharged. Mobi Cam is another manufacturer you may want to try out, but it caused heavy static with our phones. Buy Buy Baby sells the Summer Infant one, and they will accept returns if it doesn't work out in your home.

megs4413
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
there are options that have multiple base units, but they're all really pricey. i've been wondering this very same question! someone somewhere must have the answer!!!

vetmommy
11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
When we had our second child, I discussed this with Fisher Price customer service. They recommended getting 2 monitors that used totally different frequencies. For 3 years now, we have used a 49MHz "Fisher Price Sounds and Lights" in one bedroom, and a 900 MHz "Sony 27 Channel BabyCall" in the other child's room. We have no interference, and can instantly tell which child is crying by which receiver is lighting up.

It worked out to be pretty cheap, too, since we already had the FP monitor. There was a little trial and error before we got the Sony, so make sure the store has a good return policy before you buy!

HTH!

emmasmama
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
This isn't very hi-tech, but I put the monitor in the hallway between the two rooms and then turned up the receiver end in my room louder. The reception is so good on those things that all I needed was a little amplification. You can tell the difference between the kid's cries anyway, so you probably don't need two. This worked out fine for us anyway.

carolines mommy
11-22-2006, 12:23 AM
I did the same in our old house. I put the monitor in the hallway between their 2 rooms because I couldn't for the life of me get a combination of monitors that wouldn't interefere with each other or my cordless phones. In this house, I have the monitor in the "jack and jill" bath between their rooms and we hear them perfectly fine.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

amck
11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
This issue is so frustrating to me. Is there a way to ask the Fields' to address this in their next book? It seems like Fisher Price or someone would catch on to this problem that almost every family with more than 1 child encounters. As I said in a previous post, I've tried putting both my FP monitors on the same channel, but the end up "competing" so that I can hear neither child well. My IDEAL, would be to have one monitor in each child's room but be able to hear both monitors on the same channel on the same receiver.

o_mom
11-27-2006, 08:40 AM
We have the Safety 1st Home Connection monitor. It has three transmitters and two receivers. The reception has been great, but I must warn you that the quality is about what you would expect from Safety 1st. The first one we had we returned after about two months because the volume control stopped working. It was within the 90 days, so I just exchanged it at BRU. This one has lasted over a year. My sister also has it and one of her receivers is now doing the same thing after about 18 months of use. However, she is hard on things so I'm sure it has been dropped more than once. :-)

Bottom line - it is a great concept and when it works, works well. Save your receipt and packaging in case you have problems if you get it.

We also have used the FP Lights and Sounds along with an older Graco Ultra Clear that we use simultaneously at my Mom's house. If you want to use your current monitor, I would go buy one of a different brand and see if you can get them to work together. You may have to play with the channel settings to get a combination that works, but it is possible. It would require two recievers, though.

tarynsmum
11-27-2006, 09:02 AM
My neighbors have this one as well. It was kind of pricey, but they use it pretty much continuously (their younger child is almost 4 months), and they don't have any problems.

Here's a link to the Home Connection: http://tinyurl.com/ye3fta

amck
11-27-2006, 09:47 AM
this is exactly what i am looking for. THANK YOU!!! and i thank you for the advice on saving my receipt!