PDA

View Full Version : new mom, taking first plane trip...what equipment can you take on plane?

meghna88
11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
i'm traveling to miami for christmas and wanted to know what i should take....we'll be renting a car and staying in Mutiny hotel with a kitchenette...
i plan to take a graco travel-lite crib for my 2 month old...as well as stroller and car seat...
we're going for 5 days, should i take car seat base to put in our rental car?
can i take her FP take-along-swing with me? should I? how do I get it on the plane? in the box?
do babies get to check in their own luggage if they don't have their own seat?
please help!

Momof3Labs
11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Can you skip the travel crib and just have her sleep in the hotel crib? I'd skip the swing, too, unless it is essential. If you bring it, take it in the box or put it in a suitcase if you can. Babies without tickets do not get checked baggage allowance.

We traveled with DS1 when he was 10 months old and brought the stroller, car seat (without base, but we were only in a taxi to and from the airport) and a sling.

hillview
11-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I would take the base and gate check it so it doesn't count as luggage. I would check the swing if you MUST have it (as in she loves it so much it would drive YOU nuts not to have it). Babies are not allowed luggage unless they have a seat. You can also rent stuff!
HTH
/hillary

meghna88
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
how many items can u gate check?

Momof3Labs
11-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Car seat, car seat base, and stroller, that's about it. But try to take the car seat on the plane if there are any extra seats (ask at the gate) - it is much, much safer to have her strapped in should you hit any turbulence!!

meghna88
11-20-2006, 10:48 PM
thanks!

niccig
11-20-2006, 11:14 PM
See if the hotel has a crib and then bring your own sheets. Some hotels have pack n plays, but don't give you a sheet for it. I feel better if DS is sleeping on his own clean sheets.

We didn't take the swing, instead we borrowed a friend's small playtime mat. It was much smaller than a gymni version and fitted fine in suitcase. On another trip I took a bouncy chair, took it apart and put it in a suitcase. It depends if your DC NEEDS this items. If not, you just need a blanket and a few toys for tummy time.

I would take the carseat base, either gate-check or in your suitcase. If you don't want to take it, practice putting the carseat in with the seatbelt. It's not difficult, but if you're in a hurry to get in the rental car, you don't want to be reading the manual at the same time.

I also take enough diapers/wipes for the first day and we stop at a grocery store as soon as we get there.

Oh, you'll probably need 1 small suitcase for you, and 1 large suitcase for DD - they always have much more stuff.
Have fun.
Nicci

boys2enough
11-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi, if it will make it easier, try and buy a 30" duffle bag (with wheels) and stuff the carseat base in it. As long as it does not weigh over 40 lbs. (or check your airline just to be sure), you will be able to check that one bag as only one piece of luggage. We bought one of these huge bags to stuff our pack/n/play in when DS2 was a baby. There was plenty room to spare for all his clothes.

In fact, I don't think that airlines count checked carseat as a piece of luggage towards the "2 piece per ticketed passenger" quota, i.e. you can check a carseat (or 2 if you have 2 children!) in addition to your 2 pieces of luggage for no extra fee. Not sure whether carseat base falls into the same category, though one would think so. But you never know what the check-in counter agent knows/thinks. Sometimes it really is hit or miss: if you are lucky, you get an agent that is knowledgeable and compassionate.

HTH.

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

table4three
11-21-2006, 01:06 AM
for things like the swing and pack n play you can look into www.babysaway.com

They rent toys, cribs, strollers, swings, etc for vacationing families and i see a link to the south florida office that serves miami. we looked into it but ended up not needing it.

good luck!

mommysammi
11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Definitely gate check the stroller and car seat. If you have a base for the car seat, I'd bring it onto the plane and put it in the overhead. I know of airlines losing the base even though you gate check it.

If your flight isn't full, they should let you install your car seat on an empty seat.

As for the swing, do you really need it? Your car seat should work as a rocker but you'd have to do the rocking.

Your baby won't have a baggage allowance since you didn't buy a seat. Strollers and car seats won't be counted towards your baggage allowance.

If you're nursing, I found that a nursing shirts helped a lot. If you're using formula, bring a tiny thermos. The flight attendant will fill it up for you when you're on the plane. Jarred baby foods are also allowed. If you have any bottled lotions, you need to fit them into a sandwich size ziploc bag. I think it's only one ziploc bag per passenger. Baby ointments are allowed. I can't remember the entire list but your airline's website should have all this info.

HTH. Have a pleasant trip.

shburks
11-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't take the base. We travelled several times on long flights before my ds was one and never took the base. It's super-duper easy to put the carseat into the car without the base, and the extra weight of carrying the base wasn't worth it to me.

If the hotel has a crib or PNP, I would definitely use theirs. PP are right--take your own sheets though!

I wouldn't take the swing unless you think she'll be a FIASCO without it!

Take the car seat and the stroller. Have fun!

Susan

punrocker
11-21-2006, 02:17 PM
You might want to check out the TSA and FAA sites, especially the list of permitted and prohibited items:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

meghna88
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
is it safe to put the car seat in the rental van w/o the base? and where do i find instructions on how to do that?

Joolsplus2
11-22-2006, 01:12 PM
The manual explains how to install it, and the stickers on the side of the seat has pictures, and www.thecarseatlady.com has videos showing how, I think.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx