PDA

View Full Version : What kind of blocks/building stuff for a 4 year old?

JustMe
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I want to buy some blocks or something similar that my 4 year old daughter can build with...legos (what size)? Regular wooden blocks?

What do you recommend?

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

Tracey
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm going to get some wedgits and magna tiles. She has legos and wooden blocks, but they both got more action when she was younger. She'll still play with the legos some, but rarely with the blocks. The wedgits and magna tiles seem a little more dynamic, but still open ended.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
My 4.5 LOVES regular Legos. Not baby sized or anything. We have bucktes of them. He is so creative. They have a Lego table at his school and almost all the boys enjoy playing there.

We also have wooden blocks but the Legos get a lot more play. A nice thing about Legos is that you can throw a handful in a container and take them with you for building during a longer car ride, at a restaurant or anywhere else they might want to sit and play quietly...you can't do that with wooden blocks.

Beth

C99
11-20-2006, 09:26 PM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Magna-Tiles. DS got a set when he turned 2 and he and my DD fight over them. I bought a second set last year, but I know he's getting a third set for his b-day from his grandparents.

DS, who turns 4 in January, plays with his Duplo legos (mostly this size due to younger kids in the house) and regular wooden blocks (we have alphabet wooden blocks too, but he prefers the standard ones), plus the Magna-Tiles, which are cool because they can be used in 1-D or 3-D.

JustMe
11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone! Off to check this stuff out!

Robyn