PDA

View Full Version : UGH....2 year old too long for pack and play. HELP!!

lmwbasye
11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, he fits, but the top of his head and the bottoms of his feet touch the sides of the pack and play. He just turned two and is in no way shape or form close to getting out of the crib at home. Has never even come close to attempting to climb out and LOVES his crib. He actually asked to "go night night" tonight.

Anyway, we are traveling a TON now (almost every weekend) and don't know what to do. Should I leave him in the pack and play and maybe he'll just curl up a bit when sleeping? Or break down and get a full-sized crib for grandparents? Or put bed rails all around twin bed and hope that he "thinks" it's a crib? LOL!

Seriously, any insight/ideas. I'm desperate.

Thanks!

deannanb
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM
If there is already a twin bed, I'd try rails for a weekend you are at the grandparents. Pushed up against the wall and with a rail, ds might be just find in the bed.

If you are visiting every weekend and the bed rails don't work, I would either buy a cheap crip - or put the mattress on the floor and see if that works.

I have tried the mattress on the floor and ds was getting out of bed and waking me up at all hours of the night.... so it was back to the crib.

IKEA makes a toddler bed with rails
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15567&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=60866&langId=-1&chosenPartNumber=S39823978

Good luck!

kristenk
11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Does he think he's too big for it? Is it uncomfortable for him? DD sleeps all tucked up, so even if she were a little too long, she wouldn't really notice. I'd try the pack & play again.

mtrattner
11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
My mom just bought DD a blow up Princess bed that we were a little nervous about because she loves her crib and also has not tried to climb out of. She loves it. It is a learning curve but it is working well so far. We are getting her ready so that the next baby can have the pack n play. We are hoping the blow up bed helps with transferring to a big girl bed soon.

The bed is from JCP catalog, if that helps. It is like a sleeping bag but a blow up mattress.

shburks
11-21-2006, 01:20 PM
We're going through the same thing with our two year old. I figure as long as he seems comfortable I'll continue to use the PNP for travel. If he couldn't sleep, etc. I'd probably move to using a twin bed against the wall (if possible) and bed rails.

Good luck!

onjbj
11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Amazon had blow up beds for toddlers for $12.50! We got a Spiderman one for DS and a Winnie the Pooh for DD. We haven't used them yet, but they look like they are made very well. They also come with a foot pump. I thought this was an amazing deal!! Don't know if they still have them at that price, but it's worth a try.

Karin

The Review Mommy
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Pack-Play-Bugs-Quilt/dp/B000056C86/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prodimg_14/102-2711684-9384127

HTH
Rebekah

DAKnits
11-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I have the large square pack n play that a friend gave me -- it's GREAT! I sold the small pack n play I bought when I first had DD, and I'll never get a small one again. My DD is 2 years and 3 months old and stopped fitting in the "regular" size pack n play at 15 or so months, and we traveled to NY with the big one, and she fit great. It was a lifesaver!

My DD is also totally fine in her crib still and has never tried to climb out --- frankly, she really isn't that athletic and probably couldn't do it if she tried. I'm keeping her in there as long as she'll stay in there, within reason of course. I'd be afraid to try a blow up bed or bed with rails b/c I think my DD would like the change, and then refuse her crib, even though she TRULY loves it now -- she asks to get in there when she's tired, and sometimes doesn't want to come out when she gets up from naps.

sdbc
11-22-2006, 09:04 AM
FYI: We used one of those blow-up mattresses for naps as a transition for the big girl bed. It worked GREAT!

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04