PDA

View Full Version : What to get DH?

mommysammi
11-21-2006, 10:22 AM
What are you getting for your DH? I'm at a lost this year. TIA.

elliput
11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
A new winter jacket.

scoop22
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
i hear you on this one.. we decided to go together and get a new laptop. it is not a suprise but that is ok.. we are doing stockings instead. we couldn't think of things we needed individually so we went together. we also are saving for a new TV..

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

BeachBum
11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
My husband asked for a nice shop vac and a dyson dustbuster. HA!

One of my husband's favorite gifts ever was a radio that you wind up. His also runs on solar energy. He loves to be able to easily take it around the house/yard while doing chores. You can get similar ones at LL Bean

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Option 1- nothing and using the $ we would have spent on each other and buy furniture instead

Option 2- iPod Nano

Option 3- Little Giant Ladder system

If we decide to spend less then I will get personal training gift certificates, some computer equipment he wants, a game (we love board games, especially Rio Grande brand), some winter gear, and who knows what else. Last year we did a budget of $100 and it was pretty successful.

Definetly buying a photo album from Snapfish of him and ds but that will probably be a present from ds.

We still haven't nailed down our budget which is annoying me to no end because I want to get shopping! I have lots of other gifts done at least. And his will be easy too if we decide on budget vs buying furniture.

Beth

kelly ann
11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
A digital photo frame...if I can brave the Black Friday crowds :)

ShellB
11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Beer of the month club

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Can you get the same deal online? I smugly sat in my living room last year on Black Friday in my PJs doing my shopping. Sure, I guess there are some better deals in the stores but I'd rather pay a "convenience charge" as I put it if it means I don't have to set foot in a store that day. :) I'd just check the online deals first unless you really, really want to go shopping.

Beth

willow33
11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
itunes gift card
North Face polartec fleece jacket
Tickets to either a game (hockey or basketball) or a show like Stomp.

Some other ideas I thought of:
Sirius satellite radio car system (I think there is one listed on Black Friday at Best Buy for $100 off)
A new suit

kijip
11-21-2006, 05:20 PM
We generally do not buy big gifts but opt to purchase a big thing (usually art of some kind) around the new year together. This year is no different (thinking about a piano for the home and we are taking a honeymoon trip) but I am kicking around the idea of an iPod for him (he REALLY wants one, but is too cheap to spring for it) sometime well before birthday and father's day so that is sort of a Christmas time thing I guess. But when i do so, I will be violating the rules we normally have. He has a lot of weekend trips to Eastern WA to suffer through driving (his dad died and we have to get the house cleared out to sell) and an iPod would really help make that drive more interesting for him.

For little trinkets (like we normally do), I will be adding to his music collection and getting him some amazing coffee.

kozachka
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
iPod. I still have to decide between Nano and Shuffle. He said he does not care if he can't see the name of the songs and would not bother with playlists so most likely it would be Shuffle.

I'd love to give him something else as well as he already knows about the iPod and won't be surprised. DH does not like practical gifts as in things we'd buy for him anyway. He needs a laptop, which I am hoping to pick up for him during Black Friday sales online but does not consider that a gift, rather a business expense :( so I am stuck doing all the research and it still does not count as a gift.

saschalicks
11-21-2006, 05:53 PM
A pair of sunglasses he was eyeing the other day.

Another idea is the West Wing is coming out with a box set and he's been eyeing that too.

I'm also getting him a few clothing pieces he needs.

californiagirl
11-21-2006, 05:59 PM
When DH says he doesn't want presents, he means it. But I like to do Christmas, so he will be getting 3 games (2 of them when the box arrives next week some time, and the smallest one on Christmas, wrapped). The new Carcassonne, Queen's Necklace and the Dr. Lucky Ambivalence pack (it's not a whole game) when they show up, and Unexploded Cow for Christmas, because nothing says "Christmas" quite like blowing up cows.

Hippoharbor
11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
-new money clip
-heavy hiking socks from sports store that he only wears to bed
-would like to get digital photo frame, but haven't done any research yet
-cologne
-underwear
-also thought of getting the battery-charger for his cellphone. I do not know if they make these for motorola.

kelly ann
11-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Gosh, that would be nice. I am going to check out Best Buy online the night before and maybe early in the morning before I leave home.

JFC
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
>One of my husband's favorite gifts ever was a radio that you
>wind up. His also runs on solar energy. He loves to be able to
>easily take it around the house/yard while doing chores. You
>can get similar ones at LL Bean

What an awesome idea! I love it! Thanks!

scoop22
11-22-2006, 08:03 AM
dh loves his as well.. a great gift..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

KrisM
11-22-2006, 08:40 AM
The Star Trek Complete Season 1-3 on DVD (original). It finally has come down to a reasonable price. And socks.

tarynsmum
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
We're doing the stocking thing this year too: we didn'twant to go "all out" on each other this year (we don't really have the money to anyway), so we're each going to get a stocking and fill it with things that we know the other person likes. And we can't spend more than $50 (total).

boys2enough
11-22-2006, 06:21 PM
It's hard to shop for my DH too. He wanted a desktop radio. Told me about this one and then changed his mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WR-2-Digital-Tabletop-Walnut/dp/B0009ZAA4M/sr=8-2/qid=1164237466/ref=sr_1_2/102-0257305-5862551?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

He then wanted a LogiTech universal control. But then went ahead and ordered it himself "b/c he found a good deal!"

Then he was thinking of a set of Bose Quiet Comfort II headphones, but asked me to wait. I thought the Sennheiser PXC 300 Noise Cancelling Headphones has better price and probably equal quality. Right now Amazon.com has a good price. (The PXC 250 is good and cheaper, we have 2 sets of those and have been happy with them).

His latest request is a digital picture frame. So I will see what I can find after Thanksgiving.

Cheers, Lin
http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

zen_bliss
11-24-2006, 03:08 AM
cozy organic knit boxers. our whole foods had a major sale a few weeks ago, and if they'd had those in my size, i would have needed some too.

jennifer_r
11-24-2006, 07:04 AM
This will be our second (maybe third) year when we won't get each other anything. I do miss exchanging, but we really don't need anything (other than stuff like furniture or things we need to purchase together) and when we do need something, we just go out and get it. And besides, my DH is sooo busy with work that he has very little time and I don't want him to put pressure on him to get me a gift.

Edited to change the title - I realized that it may sound like I was telling you to get DH nothing. I'm not suggesting that - just merely telling you what DH and myself were going to do this Christmas.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] Woohoo! 1 year and counting . . .

clc053103
11-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Just got a good idea from this post- my DH has been ogling the Little Giant ladder for years. I just never met anyone who had one, I would love to get feedback before making such a big purchase on something not used too often!

typically, DH gets clothes, tools. WE always start with a $100 budget. And it keeps growing, and growing as the big day approaches. I am hoping we stick to it this year!

Corie
12-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm getting my husband a Vew-Do balance board.
Looks like fun!
http://www.vewdo.com/cart/

Some Carpet Skates. I would like a pair too.
Heck, maybe a pair for the entire family.
http://www.museumtour.com/site_product_details.php?item_no=3265

And, the Evil Knievel Stunt Set.
http://www.museumtour.com/site_product_details.php?item_no=4494

A pair of Vans.
http://www.vans.com/index2.html

The Air Hogs Storm Launcher.

sarahsthreads
12-04-2006, 11:20 PM
The Civilization IV expansion for the mac is his main gift. I'm also knitting a pair of socks for him (he has a wool allergy so this yarn is 60/40 cotton/acrylic, and I have my doubts, but since I'm halfway through one I guess I'm committed) and I have a knit sweater I started but never finished for him that I'm going to finish and wrap up for Christmas.

After that, I have no idea. He really wants a knit Mets hat, but the really tacky ones they give away sometimes at the games that have the word "Mets" knit into them in orange letters on a blue background - I can't find anything like it online, not even a picture, so I have no hope of buying/knitting this for him at the moment.

I'm still trying to figure out what DD can get for him. Her two suggestions have been a piggy and a doll. I don't think he'd exactly be thrilled with either of those... (Then again, she asked Santa for fruit, milk and water, so maybe she really thinks Daddy needs a piggy. Santa is planning on bringing her play food - including fruit, milk and water - for her kitchen!)

Sarah :)