PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Signing Times

mindyd
11-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I was hoping I could get some advice. We are looking to buy DD (who will be 16.5 months by Christmas) a new set of Signing times. We have the Baby Signing times and she LOVES them. I just can't figure out which set to get next. The 4-6 seems a little more complex and the other sets seem to be predominantly animals (which she likes, but not particularly useful at home:)

Could you give me the pros and cons of each set.
Thanks

elliput
11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
We started with Baby Signing Time and I added vols 1-3 when DD was about 17 months. While there is quite a bit of overlap with signs, the presentation is different enough that I really didn't feel the volumes were redundant. We just added vols 4-6 in October and the pace is quite a bit quicker than 1-3.

emmasmama
11-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree that 1-3 is better suited to a child under 2... my 20 mo has been watching it since she was about 12mos and she loves it. I bought the animal signs DVD separately and it's a little harder and faster paced. She really prefers the Everyday Signs the most and Playtime signs 2nd I'd say (in set 1-3). She is just starting to get interested in the animal one (part of the next set). My 3.5 yo likes the animal one quite a bit though, which confirmed to me that it's geared to the older toddler/preschooler.

mindyd
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Thank you for your replies. I guess I'm just getting in too much of a hurry, but she knows most of the signs in both videos and I'm running out of new ones to teach her:) Do you think there is too much overlap with the BST and Vol 1-3??

tiapam
11-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, they overlap but they are different. We have BST on DVD and we have ST on TiVo. We got it off of PBS, are they showing it in your area? You can't beat free! If you don't want any overlap, I would get #4-6. We don't watch #5 (ABCs) very often, but we do like #4 and #6. They do sell them individually, too, so you don't have to get a set, though I do think we will watch ABCs more often as DD gets older.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

mindyd
11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, we checked about the PBS thing but our station doesn't carry it. I sent them a letter to see if they could add it, but never got a reply. Thanks for your help! I will have to check out 4 & 6 then.