PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have the kitchen, what is your favorite play food?

hudsonam
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm hoping I can find some great deals on Melissa & Doug at TJ Maxx and Ross, but what do you find your DC plays with the most? I feel like I should get him something like the 'food groups' set from M&D, but also a set of packaged foods like he sees in our cabinets at home. What do you have and like? I so want the sushi set too. ;)

ellies mom
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
We've had the M&D Cutting Food and Food Groups for over a year and DD still loves them. I'm thinking about getting DD their "Dry Goods" set for Christmas this year and well, I really like that sushi set too.

MMMommy
11-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I bought the M&D sets for my girls for Xmas online--cutting food, sandwich set, grocery set, birthday cake, and pizza party. I was hasty and bought them all at once online. My local TJ Maxx has the M&D food trays (i.e. breakfast set, dinner set, lunch set) on clearance for $10 and the veggie and fruit baskets for $16.99 each. I saw the M&D Cutting Food at Ross for $14.99. Marshalls also had the M&D veggie and fruit baskets for $16.99 each. If I were to do it all over again, I would consider buying the Target Play Wonder wooden food sets for $14.99 each and not just all M&D. The Target Play Wonder wooden food sets are well priced, and they look really cute. We'll see how everything holds up after Xmas when my girls play with them.

brittone2
11-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I think M&D stuff in general tends to get chippy, but our cutting food set has held up remarkably well. We also have the bday cake set as it was on sale for like $7 a few months ago.

DS started playing w/ the cutting food set (with small pieces removed) when he was just over a year. He still plays with it and is approaching his 3rd bday.

We have the Haba food and love it. The quality is great. However, it is very small in comparison to M&D. DS was always able to play with it safely (I waited until he was probably 18-20 months to give it to him, and at that point he was fine w/ it). However, with baby #2 on the way it will probably have to be put out of reach unless supervised, so that's a PITB.

I was nosing around online today and saw creativebrains.com is no longer going to be selling M&D products, so they have everything for 40% off. They offer free shipping over $30. I believe they also had the sushi set. It might be worth a look for you ;)

julieakc
11-21-2006, 10:59 PM
>
>I was nosing around online today and saw creativebrains.com is
>no longer going to be selling M&D products, so they have
>everything for 40% off. They offer free shipping over $30. I
>believe they also had the sushi set. It might be worth a look
>for you ;)
>
>
Saw your post and took a look....I checked on almost every M&D food item (including the sushi set) and none where in stock. I checked a couple other M&D items and no luck there either, so it doesn't look like there's much left. :(

greatcanuk
11-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Another vote for the Target Playwonder play foods. I know a lot of people like the M&D wooden play foods, but IMO the Target ones are more aesthetically pleasing (i.e. so cute!).

FiveLittleDucks
11-22-2006, 04:21 PM
We loooove the Target sets. DD got one for her birthday in March, and it's still the most popular toy. And it hasn't chipped one bit, even with a little gnawing on it. The Velcro has come off a few pieces, but they're easily hot-glued back on.

brittone2
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Bummer. I didn't look that closely since I wasn't really looking for playfood. I guess since it is holiday time, that stuff wasn't going to last long w/ their shipping deals plus 40 percent off. Sorry :(