PDA

View Full Version : VSmile vs. Leapster (hand held)

sophiesmom
11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
I want to get DD and DS either a VSmile or Leapster for Christmas. (the hand held size).

Just wondering if they are similar, or if one is better than the other....

Thanks!!

sophiesmom
11-22-2006, 10:55 PM
bump!

redhookmom
11-22-2006, 11:14 PM
My children, 4 and 7, prefer the Leapster. We had both and I ended up buying a second Leapster to end the squabbles. :)

I don't really know why they find it more appealing. I think the games are more interesting.

sophiesmom
11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks! I think I am going to go w/ the Leapster. Was reading online and looking and them. Walmart has 97 cent shipping on them, plus they sell cases for them that hold up to 6 games and the Leapster. :-)

MamaKath
11-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Which games do they like? I have kids the same ages and am thinking about getting the Leapster L-max for Christmas.

kboyle
11-23-2006, 02:02 PM
this is what charlie has right now:

The Letter Factory & The Talking Words Factory, they are the same movie as the DVDs plus a little mini game for each letter

Dora Wild Life Rescue or something like that, it has a lot to do with the directional pad and buttons so it took charlie a bit longer to play this one, but he does like it a lot.

L-Max Letters On the Loose, same professor quigley from the letter factory & talking words game, but helps teach kids how to write the letters too. charlie loves the games on this one, but it's a bit harder since you have to be able to trace the letter to go on to the next letter & game.

borrowed from my neice:
Reading with phonics, or something like that, it has a mole on the cover...a K level, so it's hard for charlie, but he'll play it with me if i sit with him.

mr pencil's draw and write game, he plays with it, but prefers the in-game drawing pad better...too many options that he gets a bit frustrated.

i am planning on getting him the thomas game for xmas which is another pre-k leveled game that seems pretty age appropriate, but does inlcude number too. plus it has a read along story, which he's all about watching.

when max gets a bit older i was planning on getting the vsmile to change things up a bit since there are different games/characters, but like you've read, most of the reviews say the leapster is much better...i do think that the vsmile pocket can attach to the tv though, where as with the leapster you have to upgrade to the lmax to get a tv hook-up.