PDA

View Full Version : Help...What is the best Thomas the Train starter set?

Pegessen
11-22-2006, 08:47 AM
DS will be 2 Dec 4th and LOVES Thomas the Train. We thought we would get him a starter train set for his birthday but I am overwhelmed just looking at them! What is the best set to purchase? We don't want to spend to much until we know for sure that it will be worth it
but we don't want to get something that is going to be a waste either.

Someone on Craigslist has a brand new in the box Conductors figure 8 set that she is selling for $25.00 It is the wood set and includes 25 pieces. I will have to pay shipping but that shouldn't be more than $10.00 Is the wooden set the best ones to purchase? What do you
think of that price that she is asking or should I wait and check around at the stores.

I would appreciate any help that you can offer!

Thanks,
Peg

BTW...I have already purchased some of the take along train pieces and a carry case for them. Can they be used with any of the Thomas tracks (wood and plastic)?

hudsonam
11-22-2006, 09:30 AM
I thought that sounded like a great price, but once you look at shipping, you could go to TRU and get it for $40, plus they're having some half price deals now:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266646

I would say that's a great starter set. I just got my DS a set by Brio on ebay for a great price, plus two extra trains with it. Ebay didn't have as many deals on Thomas though. I think the conductor's set is really cute. :)

DebbieJ
11-22-2006, 09:32 AM
The Figure 8 Sets are a great place to start. If you have a Michael's or (what's the name of that other craft store) nearby, they often have 40% off coupons that you can use. That's how we get all our Thomas.

I don't know if the wooden and plastic sets are interchangeable. We just stick with the wooden at our house.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Pegessen
11-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I thought it was a cute set too but I am not a fan of paying shipping for anything! I was planning on going to Michaels yesterday to see what they had as far as the Thomas items but seemed to have misplaced my 40% off coupon. I may stop in tonight just to see if they have the Conductor Figure 8 set and if they do then I will just wait until I have a coupon.

I do like the wood sets better than the plastic so I would rather go with that.

Thanks ladies!

Peg

icunurse
11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I agree with PP to try Michael's first....great prices with their 40% off coupon.

The plastic and wooden sets are not interchangable. Besides the obvious track difference, the plastic trains are bigger than the wooden trains, so they don't fit into the grooves on the other's track.

twinkie
11-24-2006, 09:59 PM
FYI, Michael's takes AC Moore coupons and there is always a link to the AC Moore coupon here in the Bargains Alert section. (It updates every week). So, you can print one up and you don't have to wait until the next Michael's circular comes in the paper.

JBaxter
11-25-2006, 08:48 AM
This weekend our AC Moore had Thomas on sale for 30% off in the sale flyer.

kjezierski
11-25-2006, 03:04 PM
The wooden and plastic sets are not compatible, so the Take Along set won't work with the wooden set you are considering. However, most of the wooden sets, regardless of brand are compatible, so you may want to buy Thomas engines and cars and purchase Brio or some other less expensive track when you start adding on.

We started buying these for our DS when he was two, and I've never paid full price for any of it. I always find a sale online or at a store, or use the Michael's/AC Moore 40% off coupons. AC Moore has had 40% off all Thomas (unlimited purchase and no coupon required) for the last week and a half, but went down to 30% off on Black Friday. You can't use coupons with these, but if you're buying more than one item, it's usually a better deal than the coupon.

Ironically, I think the connectors on the Take Along Thomas set, which is meant for younger kids, are more complex than those on the wooden sets. The wooden trains connect with magnets, so the kids only have to have the trains facing the correct direction and touch them to make a connection. This is one of the main reasons we skipped the Take Along Set and went straight to the wooden sets.

We started with the Battery-Powered Sir Topham Hatt Figure 8 set and the acquarium cars, since, at that age, DS really wanted something that moved on its own. He still uses at least one battery-powered engine to pull other engines and cars when he plays. Beware - the battery-powered engines are not as durable as the plain wooden engines. I like that he can use the battery-powered and plain wooden engines on the same track.

www.allaboardtoys.com is a good website for deals on everything Thomas and they currently have a sale going on. That's usually where I go if AC Moore doesn't have what I'm looking for or they have a crummy sale, which means I can't use the coupon. The general rule is to buy them whenever you find a good deal and just hide them until the next birthday or Christmas.

HTH.

Pegessen
11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I actually found the Conductors Figure 8 Set on Toys R Us website for $39.99 and they had $10.00 off when you spend $30.00 or more. Plus I was able to print out a coupon for a free Hard at Work Percy and Box Car! So I got him a brand new one for a really good price, or so I thought. I ordered it Friday night and it has already shipped, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and his party is on Sunday. Perfect!

I wish we had AC Moores in Michigan! I will be looking for deals on Thomas items and stock up when I find them!

Thanks ladies!

Peg