PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your "teaching materials/learning toys? Which ones to buy?

DAKnits
11-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I am looking for teaching/learning toys for my almost 2.5 year old. She knows her letters and the sounds they make, and I want to put a *little* less emphasis on the dolls, Cinderella, playsets etc... and start introducing more puzzles, games that teach, etc....

I know that LakeShore Learning is a good company and has lots of teaching materials, but I don't know where else to look, or what kinds of things I should get to really get the most bang for my buck.

Also, how do Montessori materials compare?

Any advice is much appreciated!

NancyP
11-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi! I just got in the mail a catalog called www.learningresources.com
I saw a couple of cool things I am thinking of for my older Son who is 7 like the big math stepping game.

I hope this helps. HAppy Thanksgiving!

nicknack
11-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I just saw a BUNCH of stuff at my Marshalls yesterday and ack, now I can't remember the brand name! But it was all learning type stuff and there was a ton of it.

I also just posted that there's a 3 pack of Leapfrog games at BJ's right now and you save about $13 off the usual price.

kayte
11-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Parent Child Press has a line by Dr. Wolf that is great teaching art appreciation (and lots of other things) called Child Sized Masterpieces. Here is a link to their website...

http://www.parentchildpress.com/art.html

Essentially it's sets of cards (you can get from them or any art postcards will do) and there are a variety of activies that start with just matching images and progressing to matching styles, even artists. About 3 is the typical age to start. I suggest you get the parent book that goes with the cards.

I just want to say, and pease don't take this the wrong way, make sure you still leave time in your DS's day for dolls, playsets, and free play. At that age it is so important. With that said it doesn't mean that you can't encourage exploration in real life subjects and freshen up her counting skills!!!

HTH

redhookmom
11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Is there a parent/teacher store in your area?

DAKnits
11-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!! Unfortunately, there's no good childrens' stores around here at all -- not only for great toys, but even for furniture and essentials. All I've got it Toys R Us, Babies R Us, and Bellini. I do plenty of ordering on line and on ebay though!

Oh, and our house is literally overun with toys -- everything Princess, Dora, Sesame, Teletubbies, Little Einsteins -- you name the character, we've got it, and tons of it, too! It's really the other way around -- I want to make sure I make room and carve out time for the other types of toys -- toys that are fun *and* help develop skills more than the typical licensed character dolls and trinkets do. I've been reading the thread on favorite toys, and I realized that I have every "popular" toy from every commercial, but none of the really cool educational toys that so many moms talk about and that kids love. My DD loves to learn, so it would be a shame to completely indulge my need to "play house" all of the time, and not give DD the benefit of having fun and learning other things besides role play -- which is important, but shouldn't replace all other types of play, either.

I'm going to check out all of the websites and see what I can find!

holliam
11-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Honestly, I think the best "learning" toys are ones that provide for open play.

There is a great book called "Einstein didn't need flashcards." It's written by well-respected child psychologists and discusses how all the supposed educational toys out there, really aren't at all, just well-devised marketing. And yes, Little Einstein and Leap Frog products included.

Holli

MarisaSF
11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
At your DD's age, I'd stick with reading books, coloring, crafts, and pretend play. For pretend, you can make up stories using her dolls and stuffed animals. Basically, since you have toys, instead of letting them go to waste, I'd just use them in a "teaching/learning" way. Perhaps read a book and then have the Princesses or Little Einsteins or whatever act out the story or do something related to what was in the book? Have them go on adventures outside or swimming in the sink, pretend they're babies, or students, or pets, a zoo, etc.?

LakeShore has a good selection of crafty things, puzzles, and books, but you can get those things anywhere -- I found great puzzles at TJ Maxx. DD likes the Melissa and Doug magnetic fishing pole puzzle and the M&D Dinosaur floor puzzle most recently.

All that said, I'm not a professional educator, just a mom to an almost 2.5 year old who seems to be learning. :) Her favorite toy this week was an empty box and an "oar" that we cut out of cardboard.

My DD loves Dora too. We go on "adventures" and talk about what might be in her backpack that will help on our outing (flashlight, rope, umbrella, oar, etc). I'd incorporate what you already have and what your DD already likes into different ways of playing.

jennifer_r
11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I have to agree with Holli. The best toys are the ones that allow for open play. Children this age need to use their imagination and thinking/problem solving skills; toys that can only do one thing (like many of the Leapfrog toys) limit that ability. Toddlers don't need to learn their abc's, 123's, and definitely don't need to learn to read. Playsets (such as dolls or a farm with some miniature animals and people) and costumes (could be as simple as your shoes, purse, hats, etc.) allow for role playing. Unit blocks allow for lessons in math, physics and creativity (not that you give your child a lesson in physics but the child will pick this up through hands on manipulation of the blocks). The book Holli mentioned, "Einstein Never Used Flashcards" goes into alot more details why some toys are great and others are not.

That said, there's lots of excellent toys in the Montessori and Waldorf traditions that allow great learning experiences, like the unit blocks I mentioned above, shape sorters, stacking blocks, ball tracks, etc. Those coupled with the role playing toys you already own should provide a great learning experience for your DD.

HTH

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] Woohoo! 1 year and counting . . .

jolene66
11-24-2006, 10:37 PM
discountschoolsupply.com

DAKnits
11-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the website! I am also in the market for something to store books, and I found this (although I'm going to try to find a less pricey version of it, if I can!)

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=19353&category=1135&mlc=