PDA

View Full Version : Buying Toys for Later --is it silly?

kayte
11-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I keep seeing toys that DD is not ready for (she's only 1) but I want to buy them now for fear I won't find them later... For instance I want this color wheel puzzle from PBK

http://tinyurl.com/ylrgy6

But I would have to store it for 2 years before she could use it, which is silly. But then I think what if I can't find something like that when she is 3....

I know am being neurotic, I was just curious if I was the only one. And if I am not, what do you do in these instances?

ANd don't get me started about wanting to buy the Target kitchen and putting that away too...

SnuggleBuggles
11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
If you have the space then go for it. Just don't forget that you have the items which I have been known to do until the toys are almost past the point where ds would be interested in them.

Some items, like a Target kitchen, will probably be around in coming years. If it isn't exactly the same it may even be better.

Just be really thoughtful in the decision- is this item truly one of a kind? Is it really going to be a fun, interesting toy for them? In 2 years will you have forgotten about this item?

Beth

holliam
11-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I've only done it if I find items that are:

- discontinued
- 50% off or more
- timeless
- something that I could easily gift another child instead

That being said, I look year round for great deals and I routinely go through them every couple months for presents, etc.

Holli

buddyleebaby
11-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I only buy things that she will be able to begin using in 12 months time, usually when there is a good sale.
If we had more space maybe I would buy more, but I don't think so.

elliput
11-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I have bought a few toys for later, but only if on a really good sale. I have a bit of space in the basement for storage so that is not an issue.

The item you are looking at is pretty classic, so I think it will be available for sale for years. Now if PBK suddenly puts it at 40 or 50% off, buy it.

MMMommy
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I would probably only buy a toy for later if it was something I absolutely and positively loved and is so unique that it couldn't be found elsewhere or substituted. There have been many a times where I've bought something and then later on, a better, newer version came out that I wished I had waited for. Or, a better version and a better deal popped up later on. By then, it was too late and I was stuck with the less desirable version.

LarsMal
11-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I had a similar issue as PP where I put several toys on my baby registry that I wanted for DS, even though he wouldn't use them for at least a year. When it finally came time to taking them out, newer, better versions were available (of course he doesn't know the difference!). One example is the Stride-to-Ride walker. About two weeks after I took the one I had gotten as a gift out for him, they came out with the new version that has the sorter in the front, and the little steering wheel. Like I said, he doesn't know the difference, and loves the one he has, but I know!!!

If you see it and "have to have it" go for it. Otherwise, make a note of it somewhere- like a Word document- and keep a running list of things you would like to get someday.