PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Roundhouse: Deluxe or regular version

Hippoharbor
11-28-2006, 07:43 AM
These things are so darn expensive but wanted your opinions if I should pay a little more for the deluxe version or save a bit and get the less costly one.

Thanks,
Michelle

ethansmom
11-28-2006, 07:57 AM
How old is your child? The great salesperson at our LE told me the kids have trouble operating the turnaround (sorry, can't remember what it's called) before they are 3. She recommended we buy the basic roundhouse, then add the turnaround the next year. The deluxe comes w/the turnaround.

ehmom
11-28-2006, 08:28 AM
if you don't mind a knock-off version, imaginarium (toys r us) has a deluxe version for $39. also, on kidsurplus.com there are a couple of different cheaper versions made by other brands. i got the one at toys r us and it looks really cute and well made. it has the buttons to push to make the door open and the train come out. hth!

The Review Mommy
11-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Regular *HANDS DOWN*! ;)

Rebekah

icunurse
11-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Do you mean the regular one vs the one with the lights and sounds? If so, we bought the regular one....the other one just seemed "too much" in so many ways. If you look around a bit, you can still find places that sell the standard roundhouse with a "free" turntable. We found ours at our local nursery of all places...less costly than anywhere else we had seen and it included the turntable.

brittone2
11-28-2006, 02:27 PM
DS got the regular one...we don't really do battery powered toys so that made the decision easier. He also got the turn table to go with it, both last year when he was not yet 2. He was easily able to operate the turn table thingie without any problem.

I've since seen the Imaginarium one, and depending on what price you can get each for, it is a nice, less expensive option that I'm sure my dS would have enjoyed just as much.

kite22
11-28-2006, 02:43 PM
The deluxe one with sounds and lights is HUGE. The regular one, turntable snd all, is considerably smaller. If you're using a train table for your layouts, it can be hard to work around such a large item. We plan to get the regular one.

Hippoharbor
11-28-2006, 02:49 PM
After reading your posts, I am going to get my 21 month old the regular one. I do hope I can score a free turntable with my purchase somewhere.

Thanks,
Michelle

kijip
11-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I think the regular one is fine. Toby can use the roundtable on any of the brands just fine as for as I have seen. We actually do not have either as he is more interested in the other add ons but Grandpa, er Santa is plotting to get one and I have told him it should be the regular one or a knock-off one.

kijip
11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
double

JFC
11-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Michelle, If you have an ACMoore near you...ours had the roundhouse and the turntable - I was able to get both with a 40% off coupon. If not, I think Learning Express had a deal where you got the turntable with the roundhouse. Good luck!

jasmine
11-28-2006, 04:22 PM
A definite YMMV since it is a clearance item (part of their red tag clearance), but I was able to pick up an Imaginarium Roundhouse at TRU for $2 last week. Imaginarium makes a regular Roundhouse and a deluxe roundhouse, so it is the regular one that was on clearance. They actually had 2 of them at the store I was at. One was in the aisle with their regular stuff (it had a red tag of $14.98, but when I scanned it, it rang up $2). I also saw one stacked way up high where they store all their extra inventory.

Hippoharbor
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
DARN. No AC Moores around me, just Michaels and they do not carry the roundhouse. You are very lucky!
Michelle

JFC
11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
WOW! Awesome deal!

JFC
11-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Have you checked out Diana Toy store? www.dianatoystore.com

Not sure if there is a better price out there, but they have the roundhouse & turntable together for $71.99, which seems pretty good.... I bought our Nilo table there and was very pleased with the store. HTH!