PDA

View Full Version : If you have 2 DCs close in age and same gender...

ajmom
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Are you having a hard time buying Christmas presents for each separately? My boys are 4 and almost 3 and it's almost impossible to decide "who gets what" for Christmas. Everything I buy is really for both of them, so I guess ultimately it doesn't matter, but I'm still having a hard time.

Also, it seems easier to buy for my older child, b/c I know that my younger son will eventually get to play with it, lus he already has all the other toys that I originally bought for my older son (if that makes sense). So while my older son is racking up in the gifts dept. I can't figure out what to get for my younger son b/c everything I would buy for a 3 yr. old was already purchased when my other son was 3. Just wondering if I'm the only one...

Piglet
11-28-2006, 06:10 PM
What about buying things they can play with together? Like 2 different Lego sets or something like that where they can interact with eachother and with their toys. My kids are not as close in age as yours but I totally know where you are coming from on the easier time buying for the older one. When DS2 turned 1, we had a horribly hard time buying a present for him - he already had all the good stuff that we had bought for DS1!

annasmom
11-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, my two oldest are a boy and a girl and I still find it difficult. Their interests at this age are pretty much the same (although I do notice that it is beginning to change slightly). Last year I did split up the gifts, but gave many to both of them. Honestly, I don't think they really noticed that the gifts were given to one or the other. That might be different this year though. I feel bad for my dd. She wants everything to be pink, but with two younger brothers, everything in our house is gender neutral.

o_mom
11-28-2006, 07:27 PM
It is hard. I have a couple of strategies. First is re-gifting old toys. I put away some of Ds1's old toys and then wrap them up for DS2. He got 2-3 of these for his birthday along with a few new things. I also kind of look at everything I have and then sort out things that are obviously for DS1 (puzzles, small pieces, etc), things that would be equally shared (blocks, wagon) and make those "group gifts". Then the stuff that either would like, but are a bit younger go to DS2. Sometimes I'll move stuff from the group pile to DS2 to kind of even it out.

This year, we are giving them both a set of blocks, the Shake 'n Go Racetrack, a Christmas book and hand puppets. Then I have puzzles, books, a Piccolo book, train pieces and a game for DS1. DS2 is getting a step stool, books, a tape measure, a Tolo car and a people mover.

As they get older it will be harder, but I think things like getting each a Lego set - one slightly more difficult than the other - or parts to a shared toy (extra LP sets, Leap Frog books, etc.) are good ideas.

Jen841
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I hear ya! I am going to give the not as age specific things to the younger one (i.e. Cars), and the age specific items to the older (FP Camera if I can find it). I just want to have close to equal numbers.

The older lOVES to have his baby (3 and 1) dressed like him, so they are getting come of the same thing just in different sizes. Since they are off seasons with hand-me-downs I don't feel guilty about this.

zoestargrove
11-28-2006, 08:56 PM
I could have written your same post. My boys are 17 months apart. 2 and 3.5. At these ages they don't really have a sense of this is mine and that is yours yet. And, although they are like day and night in many aspects, they really enjoy playing with the same things and haven't developed distinct and separate interests yet.

I found shopping for my youngest's bday more difficult because I really wanted to get something unique to his interests and not duplicate something we already had. For Christmas, I bought things that they both will enjoy playing with together, books, hand puppets, blocks, puzzles. There are a few gifts that make more sense for one child over the other, but for the majority of them, they'll just be split up equally between the two of them and once they're unwrapped be known as toys that everyone in the family can play with.

It does seem way easier and more interesting to pick out stuff for DS1 right now, but as they get older their personalities and interests are likely to become more pronounced and distinct.

Kelly

C99
11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
My kids are not the same sex and I still have this problem.

jenjenfirenjen
11-29-2006, 04:34 PM
>The older lOVES to have his baby (3 and 1) dressed like him,
>so they are getting come of the same thing just in different
>sizes. Since they are off seasons with hand-me-downs I don't
>feel guilty about this.

Lol, mine too. Anytime I put the baby in a shirt that they both have, my toddler has to go get his shirt that matches. That's a good idea to give them some more matching things.

As to the OP, yes, I have the same problem. I have so many things for the older one for Christmas and hardly anything for the baby. But, he's a baby. I figure I have another year before he even begins to notice such things. But I still feel guilty.

Raidra
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
We have this problem, too. There are some things that are age appropriate for Colwyn but not for Lachlann, but I usually avoid buying those things because of the small pieces (like Playmobil stuff). I usually have an easier time picking out stuff for my oldest, but I know they'll both play with each other's toys, so I don't think it matters that much. I split up the toys kind of arbitrarily. They're still young enough to not really notice that a toy is "for" one and not the other, though.

betsydenny
11-29-2006, 06:27 PM
My kids are 19 months, boy 2.5 and girl 4 and I just decided that Xmas is stuff they get together. Tent. They each get capes. They each get a big shovel. They each get binoculars. Games they can both do (or will be able to do soon)

If I got one of anything, they would fight. So I figure I will get them their "own" stuff at their b'days and while I can- save Xmas for the shared/group stuff they can do together.

I have asked relatives to keep this in mind. So far they all think it is a great idea.

HTH
Betsy

Bens Momma
11-29-2006, 08:38 PM
I posted almost the same thing yesterday!! I have 2 DS 26 months apart and I'm trying so hard to find cool stuff to give my younger one for Christmas. Meanwhile everytime I shop I see something my older guy would like (and I have his shopping done already!)
The re-gifting is a good idea, but I feel a little guilty doing this to him. The other problem I have is that my older son is very jealous and posessive of his toys (we're working in it :) )so I wonder if he'll remember his "old" stuff and give his brother a hard time about playing with them?? It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one facing this problem!! Good luck to everyone with their shopping!

Ben & Will's Momma

R2sweetboys
11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes!!! My boys are 6 and almost 4. The reason it's hard for me though is because I can see them fighting if one gets something and the other doesn't. If it's something that I think they will both like, I'm getting two of them.(same color and everything!:P) I hate doing that sometimes,and I'm all for sharing, but it's just not worth the bickering over a particular toy. It also allows them to play with the toys together. Bigger things will be shared though, like the Cranium Super Fort. I still have a lot of shopping to do and I'm hoping to find at least a couple of things that each will get that is different from the other's.

In your case, I would probably label the toys that are age appropriate for both to both of them. Then, maybe you could get a couple of things that are specifically for each of them. I know that my older son especially would notice if he or his brother had significantly more gifts.(he's ALL about fairness right now!)

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

mom to little e
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Ah yes, we have the same problem. Mine are 26 months apart with the oldest a boy and the younger a girl. It is MUCH easier for me to shop for DS than DD. DD has all of the hand-me-down toys from DS so it is hard to come up with new ideas. Even though she is really too young to know/care - I know and care. (Christmas is a huge deal for me and I know that I really go overboard.)

The kiddos are getting a big, "shared' present from Santa (kitchen with food) and some "same as" presents (e.g. toy boats). I am going to try and even out the gifts so each get the same amount mostly so we can practice our "taking turns" unwrapping. I am also re-gifting one large gift (Stanley the Snail Rocker) that I don't think DS will remember.

Not that all my efforts will really matter too much anyway as Ean thinks all the toys are (or should be) his! :)

Maryann