PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this game?

Lucia
11-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Rivers, Roads, and Rails
http://www.kidsurplus.com/rav00766.html
I think my almost 4 year old son would like it since he is obsessed with any mode of transportation but the age range starts at 5. Would it be too frustrating for him? Any general feedback on this game?
thanks!

sarahsthreads
11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
I don't have that particular game, but tile games in general are good ones to start with very young children. According to a few lists over at Board Game Geek (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2573) it looks like people do play this game with kids under 5, they just may not have the attention span to play all the way to the end.

I looked at the instructions (they're scanned in as a Word file on the page I linked to above) and you essentially pick a tile to fit onto the end of the last tile played - so you match them kind of like dominoes. The tiles are played face-up, so it can be played cooperatively. The goal is to be the first player to use up your tiles, but you could change the goal to be creating the most interesting route or something less competitive if you think he's not ready for that yet.

(And now I've just revealed myself as a board game geek...try not to hold it against me?)

Sarah :)

redhookmom
11-29-2006, 09:21 AM
This game is not at all frustrating. If the end piece has a river and road you have to find one in your pile that has a river and road. The piece you add might end the river or begin a rail. It's fun and cooperative in nature. When we play we don't play to win, it is more like a puzzle and we just try to make it as big and interesting as possible. My 4.5 year old has been playing along with her older brother for at least a year.

Check out Busy Bridges - my son loved that game when he was your son's age.

egoldber
11-29-2006, 09:31 AM
We have it and its really not a fav with my 5 yo DD. Another thing to note is that we need to play it on the floor since the tiles can get VERY spread out. She does find it a little frustrating when she doesn't have a tile that matches (and she is VERY particular about finding an exact match). Generally, she finds it less frustrating if we only play with half the tiles.

Lucia
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Great game website suggestion and also thanks for the Busy Bridges game suggestion. I think I may end up going with the Busy Bridges game for this year.

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I love the quality of Ravensburger games (Rio Grande games are great too!). I have not seen this game before but it looks really good. I'll have to look for it next time I am at the independent game shop (the coolest store :)).

Thanks for posting this. Sorry I don't have any feedback though!

ETA- boardgamegeek.com is an awesome site!

Beth