PDA

View Full Version : what do i need in an exersaucer?

megs4413
11-29-2006, 05:53 PM
i didn't have one with DD, but she always enjoyed playing in the ones at others' homes. I want one for this baby as I know i'll have to have a fun/safe place to set #2 when #1 needs my full attention. What features do I want? What is unnecessary? they seem like they can go from not too bad in price ($40) to freaking ridiculous ($120)....what's the biggest bang for my buck?

Jenny_A
11-29-2006, 07:52 PM
We have and Evenflo Exersaucer Smartsteps that we borrowed from my sister in-law. I have heard mixed opinions on the boards about using an exersaucer at all, but I've really enjoyed having one!

Ours folds up easily and is fairly portable which is a nice feature. The legs also can be lengthened as the baby gets taller. That's been very nice too. I would probably look for one with a lot of different toys/gadgets to manipulate. The chair in ours turns around so DD just spins and plays with all of the toys. You might look for one that doubles as a jump-a-roo or has the ability to bounce. Ours really doesn't but I was at a friends house the other day who had a jump-a-roo (the non-doorway type) and DD loved it! She bounced and bounced. She came home and tried to bounce in her exersaucer - she discovered it wasn't quite the same :-(.

I would check out consignment shops, craigslist, or yard sales. I don't think it's necessary to have a new one. Those are sort of bulky so a lot of people usually get rid of theirs after the baby grows out of them. Or you might even borrow one from one of your friends!

HTH,

Jenny

Mom to Caroline 01/06

scoop22
11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
ds loved his. this is the only alone time he really had. we had two. one was very plain. just a few toys around. ds loved to chew on them. it had a mirror. i didn't think that was necessary. the one he really liked was the one with music. it had a star on it and it would play some tunes. it also had a spinning ball that made alot of noise. it has height adjustments. i agree with the pp if it can fold up easily that is a plus. we got both of ours for under $10. ds was in it awhile but not long enough for me to justify alot of money. they do have so much cooler ones than ours out there. good luck
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

C99
11-29-2006, 08:20 PM
I like the mid-range ones, around $70-80. They have a place for baby to sit, toys all the way around the ring, and often have nice parent features like adjustable height and/or fold up. They are huge, however, and bulky, and a PP is right that you can often find them on consignment, etc. I have the Evenflo Megasaucer, and it was completely free - picked it up while driving through my best friend's subdivision. It was just sitting out by the curb. A couple of washes with the power sprayer and vinegar later, and it was good to go.