PDA

View Full Version : toy box or something......i don tknow....

megs4413
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
i've been trying in vain to keep DD's toys contained *for the most part* in her room. i like to keep the living room toy free except for what she is currently playing with. unfortunately this just doesnt seem feasible. she gets frustrated at having to drag toys out here from her room and wants me to come in her room to play with her, which i do during the day, but when Dh is home we want to all hang out together. and i never seem to get the toys out of the living room in the evening. i can't get them back into her room once she's in bed becuase...she's in bed! i can't go walking in there with a bunch of toys!

our living room is quite large so it's not a storage issue just an aesthetics thing. i know soon enough our LR will have the swing and the exersaucer and the PnP in it for DS so it's not like i can keep the house "kid neutral" anyway. so why even try?

the real question (boy it took me too long to get here) what kind of toy storage situation can we do in here? i guess i need a box of some kind that's easy for DD to get toys out of (so not too deep) and looks decent in my living room! our end table has some storage underneath it so if the toybox was small enough i could tuck it in there when DD was done playing or if we were having company. but it would have to be like microwave size to fit there. i don't want something wooden because i want to be able to move it in and out of the room as needed.

any ideas? what does everyone else do about this?

Alice523
11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
We have a wicker basket/box from Pier One for toys. It's not very big (maybe 17" by 15" or so and 15" high) but my son is only a year (today!) so his toys aren't huge. They mostly fit in there. Some stick out of the top, but for the most part, it blends very nicely with our living room. We have it weighted in the bottom so that DS can't move it around. Wicker would not be easy to take out of the room, though.

We have the RF walker wagon and LeapFrog table loose in the room. DS doesn't have a big room and we don't have a family room or playroom other than our living room, so they are staying for now.

dules
11-30-2006, 03:44 PM
I got popup canvas boxes from Target. If I had it to do over again, and a little more $$, I'd go with something from the Container store. I especially like the floral ones, but there are lots of styles to choose from here:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/index.jhtml?CATID=71225&howMany=999&viewAll=true

Mary

tiapam
12-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Repeating my post from another thread on the same topic:

I have this in my living room:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=10015492&CATID=72586&searchId=6509456&itemIndex=60

I am really happy with it. I have the large and it can hold a lot. They have other patterns, too.

I have seen these IRL and they are nice too:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=71225&PRODID=10015025

Also comes in other colors. These two products are made by the same company.

ETA: For sure the first one can be stored flat as well and I think the second one too. The metal frame folds down into the bin.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

kristenk
12-01-2006, 08:55 AM
I have 2 of the crunch cans from the Container Store. I have a striped crunch basket for cloth dipes and then a denim crunch can that stays in the living room and holds all of her little people stuff. They're wonderful! I don't know if they have the look you're going for, but they're easy to get into (DD can push the sides down if necessary) and, better yet, you can get them down to a more manageable/storable size when they're empty. They don't show it on the website, but the crunch baskets smoosh down the same way that the crunch cans do. They also have handles, so it's easy to grab them when they're full and put the whole thing away.

holliam
12-01-2006, 10:17 AM
We have the honey-stained Land of Nod bins in our family room. I think it looks great.

Holli