PDA

View Full Version : Sold out toys? Can't find the Fisher Price toddler camera anywhere...

Laurel
12-02-2006, 11:11 PM
and I feel like as soon as I give in and fork out the extra $20-50 on Ebay that there will some in the stores again. Why do toy companies do this? It seems like they could make some more cameras and get them on store shelves before Christmas!

Is it terrible that I am thinking about just buying it after Christmas? It seems silly to spend so much extra just so a 2.5 year-old can open it on December 25th. On the other hand, when I think of her going without some sort of "big" present on Christmas day I feel awful.

Ok, this sounds more like a "bitch" than I had intended. I really just wanted to know how others handle the whole sold-out toy thing at Christmas.

kristenk
12-02-2006, 11:21 PM
DD's birthday is in February, so my plan was to wait and get it for her birthday instead of Christmas. I just saw tons of the FP camera at Wal-Mart last week, though. Have you checked at brick & mortar stores or on-line?

Oh, and don't worry about not having some sort of big present this year. I'm pretty convinced that what *I* think of as a big present is totally different than what *she* thinks of as a big present!

JBaxter
12-02-2006, 11:25 PM
you mean this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Kid-Tough-Digital-Camera/dp/B000EULZPU

buddyleebaby
12-02-2006, 11:58 PM
We celebrate all twelve days of Christmas and Epiphany.
As a child, we opened presents from friends and relatives on Christmas day, one santa present a day for each of the twelve days of chrsitmas, and our big present on Epiphany.
Usually they were all under the tree on Christmas morning but once in awhile another package would appear on Epiphany, after things went on sale or were back in stock in stores. ; )

Laurel
12-03-2006, 02:02 AM
That is the one. However, it sells retail for $55-70. I just can't bring myself to pay over $100 for something that will be back in stores after Christmas.

kransden
12-03-2006, 06:12 AM
I think that camera is one of the hottest toys for xmas. So you can't really blame the manufacturers. Who would have "thunk it" ?

A friend had one in Oct., and I thought it would be the perfect gift for her uncle to buy dd. One week they had a bunch in the store and the next week - nothing.

I don't know where you live, but the uncle drove to an economically poorer area and they had a few.

We don't open all of dd's gifts at Xmas either. It is just too overwhelming for her. We string them out over a few days.

ITA that what is a big present to you is not what a big present is to your child. Currently, my dd is in love with a washing machine size box. She gets to draw on it, sit in it, hide, tape pictures to it.

What she wants the most for Xmas is a Derrick Barbie from the 12 Dancing Princess movie. It is a whole 15.00. So what is a big present at this age is in the eye of the beholder. You'll have plenty of years ahead of you to worry about finding the right toy in time for xmas ;)

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

JBaxter
12-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Id keep looking at target and walmart. Go every morning if you have too. I scored 2 ( two) TMX elmos the other morning at Target. I got there at 9:10 ( they open at 9) and they only had 2 of the 20 left. I had given up looking for them it was hard to get my 18mo old niece to give up the box for check out LOL.

kcimato
12-03-2006, 08:42 AM
I would definitly not pay the extra money for the camera. Did your DD request it or is it something you want for her? 2.5 seems young for the camera. How will she use it? Do you want it because it's hard to find and think that your child must need it?

I would wait and get it for her birthday. Your child will most likely not view it as a "big" gift since it is a relativly small item.

Also, there is a good story called Old Befana by Tomie de Palo that is about the epifany and how old Befana leaves gifts for children on the feast of the 3 jings. You could read that story and leave the camera as a gift. That is if you can find it so soon after Xmas. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Old-Befana-Tomie-Paola/dp/0152438173

LD92599
12-03-2006, 09:00 AM
My sister bought it in Shoprite for $49 w/ their store savings card. Shoprite is located on the East Coast, so you might want to check your grocery store ads.

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!

Laurel
12-03-2006, 02:56 PM
She doesn't even know this item exsists! She just wants her own camera, and I know she won't care if she gets it on the 25th, 28th, or Jan 2nd.

I guess this is all about me, and also wanting to have something for her to open at the in-laws (who won't be keeping track, this is just my own little issue).

Thanks for helping me to just let it go!!! It isn't worth stressing over! However, I will be keeping my eye out between now and Christmas!

Laurel
12-03-2006, 03:01 PM
ps. thanks for the book suggestion- I love that author.

pps. I do think I have a budding photgrapher on my hands- she has used our digital, film and polariod (sp) cameras since age 2, and I want (need, really) for her to have one I can just hand over to her and not worry about. She actually takes really good, if a bit "artistic", photos!

kcimato
12-03-2006, 11:15 PM
My grand daughter is fasinated by cameras also. Everytime we visit she asks to take a picture with my camera ( an Eos digital rebel!) Of course I let her. She is really more interested in seeing the picture on the screem afterwards.