PDA

View Full Version : Train tables: do you find that your kids really use them?

martycw
12-03-2006, 04:48 PM
At what ages and for how long? Debating whether to buy one...

MelissaTC
12-03-2006, 06:01 PM
DS has had his since before he was 2. He is going to be 4.5 and uses it daily. I would suggest a train table that allows multiple usage like a Nilo table or one from Pottery Barn Kids as opposed to the Thomas train table that can only be used for trains. DS likes to play with other toys besides trains on the train table.

geochick
12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
My ds got his a year ago for Christmas (he was almost 2 then, almost 3 now). He has used it every day since then for at least 30 minutes, but usually more like an hour and a half. There are still days where he plays with it for several hours at a time. I think it really helped that we got Thomas trains and several Thomas movies. He really has a connection with the Thomas characters and he uses he imagination in building track and creating stories to go along with the characters he has grown to love. I think we have almost every Thomas train friend there is. We are now working on our collection of destinations (roundhouses, sheds, ice cream factories, etc.). I guess my point is that it might help to go the Thomas route. Some people don't like Thomas and prefer the Brio or other, but I know my kid uses his trains more because they are Thomas and have personalities. The personalities he saw in the movies helped kick-start his imagination. He rarely watches the movies anymore, but they helped in the beginning. He's going to have another Thomas Christmas and he'll get even more Thomas stuff at his next birthday party next month. He'll be playing with this stuff for years to come...I am sure of that.

One thing you might do is take your kid to a toy store where they have train tables set up before you make your decision. My ds had to be pulled from those stores kicking and screaming before he had his own set. He had an instant connection from the age of one with trains. If your dc doesn't show much interst, you might want to go to plan B.

ETA: Not to mention the fact that when we're not using the table for trains, we're using it for marbles or Lego or Little People. It helps contain small toys (very handy since I have a baby on the floor). Train tables are GREAT!

o_mom
12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Why can't you use other toys on the Thomas table?

holliam
12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
We got ours in June when DD was 21 months. We use it daily for absolutely everything, from trains to blocks to Duplos to puzzles, etc. We have the Nilo one and I find it much more versatile as Melissa mentioned.

My daughter has no clue who Thomas is and she loves trains anyway. :)

Holli

o_mom
12-03-2006, 07:19 PM
We got the Costco one last year for Christmas. DS1 was 2.5 and DS2 was 8 mos. They are still using it daily (Now 3.5 and 19 mos). Not just for trains. Currently it has the LP Nativity on it. DS1 likes to run his cars on it, or we have several other toys that we rotate on it - Parking Garage, Trains, Dollhouse, LP Farm, etc.

holliam
12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
The Nilo table is higher than most train tables so it is easy for kids to sit on chairs at it too, etc.

Holli

lisams
12-03-2006, 08:42 PM
DD is 4, we got hers around 18 months and she uses it all the time. Not just for train sets though - her dollhouse, little people stuff, etc all get played on top of the table. She likes to stand when she's playing, so it gets used every single day. I like that I don't worry about it getting scratched and it has edges so her toys aren't falling off all the time.

cstack
12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
My DS would always zero in on the train tables in any toy store that had one and would have to be practically drug out when I was ready to go. When he was almost 2 I bought him a small one. He'd play with it on occasion, but mostly he'd play with the trains on the floor. I bought him a bigger one, thinking that the small one was just too small. Again, he plays with them occasionally using the table, but he spends more time with them on the floor and the table becomes something of a catch-all. The moral of the story, I guess, is that just because they play with them in the store, doesn't mean they will at home (he still focuses in on them in stores and would play for hours). It was not a totally poor investment, but I wish I had spent the money on more trains, as he gets more out of them. BTW, he's 6 now.

gcampbell72
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
We have the Nilo table and believe it is our single best "toy" purchase to date. We got it when DS was 18mths. He loved it right away and still uses it daily (and he's now 3). Our younger DS is 11mths and already loves to cruise around the table, take things on/off, etc.. The table is really the focus of most of their play (trains, playsets, duplos, dinosaurs, etc..). Since we have a small apartment, it also serves as our coffee table!

Cathy

KrisM
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
DS got one for his 2nd birthday in April and uses it about daily. I found that he plays much more imaginatively with the table because he doesn't accidently knock over the track, as he did on the floor. We have one similar to the Costco one, but have dishpans under it for toy storage. Six fit perfectly!

DAKnits
12-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I have the small Nilo table because I didn't want to eat up all the floor space in the play area we use it in. I probably could have gone with the bigger table since we almost never play on the floor anymore -- the table is used for all of our playing. I would say that a "train" table is probably the most used "toy" in any house that has one. They are having really big sales on train tables in so many stores right now that I think if you bought one and didn't want to keep it, you could sell it and get a nice chunk of money back. But I have a feeling that you won't have to worry about wanting to sell it ;-)

mommyofjoey
12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
My son got his on his first birthday and still plays with it daily (he's almost 4). We do put the wooden tracks on it however it's usually used for other things (Lego, play doh, coloring, etc.)

new_mommy25
12-03-2006, 11:18 PM
We got ours when DS was 15 months. He is 3 and still plays with it EVERY SINGLE DAY!! Best investment I ever made.

nicknack
12-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Your son sounds EXACTLY like mine! I could throw out every other toy and he'd be fine. He'll watch an episode, and then literally run down to the basement to act it out with his trains! We have almost everyone too, I just caved and bought Caroline on Ebay the other night, he's going to have a heart attack!

kijip
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Toby uses his under the bed one everyday. It is actually used as a doll house and picnic spot too. Trains get played with in his room and in the living room for several hours a day.

geochick
12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Caroline will be a hit! My son is going crazy over Mighty Mac right now. He can't wait until Christmas. Have fun.

Saartje
12-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Ishy got his train table when he was 15 months old. He's 30 months old, and his hours-a-day use of it has never ceased.

alexsmommy
12-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Purchased when he was just shy of 2 - now just shy of 4 - uses it every day and always has.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

nicknack
12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
I know, I can't wait for him to open it!

Ah yes, Mighty Mac, he was a hit too. Most recent additions were Rosie and Max and Monty (bday presents). This is never-ending, now they're reissuing Daisy and Derek the Diesel, coming out with Rocky the crane thing, etc...they'll always figure out ways to get us to spend money!

geochick
12-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Rosie's on MY Christmas list. I really want the pink train! :)

amp
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
DS got his at age 2.5 and has been playing on it ever since. It gets played with every single day. Granted, that's only a year or so, but it's been well worth the cost.

ETA: We bought the set that TRU changes a bit from year to year. It's usually a table and 100 pc train set for like $80 or so. It's worth the money. It has been super sturdy, has a ton of pieces and is interchangeable with all our Brio and Thomas stuff.

FYI: Costco and sometimes Sams often have train tables at the holidays too, for a great price.

C99
12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
DS got his at just shy of 2 and used it every day (for trains) until recently. He's almost 4. Now, both kids use it for other toys, but I am thinking of selling it because the room it is in is very small and it doesn't get enough play time to keep it. We would do better to build train track on the floor space at this point.

jacksmomtobe
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
DS got his for his 2nd Birthday and uses it everyday. I went with the Imaginarium table which comes with a train set. They are on sale at Toys R US for @$119. It's a great deal since some sets can be pretty expensive. I would say it's probably one of the best if not the best thing that we have bought for ds. It's got a good variety..trains, police car, plane, etc. It's much easier to play with trains on the table since the tracks stay level. DS got a little first Thomas train set that we never used because the tracks would come apart on the floor. Also the Imaginarium tracks are compatible with the Thomas trains so save yourself some money by just buying the Thomas trains if your child is a Thomas fan. DS also sometimes clears the tracks and uses the table for his trucks.

Good Luck!