PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Price Digital Camera

ajrivers
12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi all. Has anyone bought this or one of the other toddler cameras? My niece would enjoy it, but if the quality of the pictures isn't good enough to print on 4x6" then I don't want to get it for her. Thanks so much for the help. Amy

kaitlinsmommy
12-04-2006, 08:46 PM
We don't have one & I know they're sold out everywhere, but the reviews I read on Amazon said the quality of the pictures wasn't good. It is a toy, after all, but still for $50 I thought it might frustrate me if the pictures were bad.

ellies mom
12-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I've seen ads that claim it can print 4x6s. But the resolution is only 640x480 so it is definately not a quality 4x6. That is the reason I've stayed away. I don't see why they couldn't have used more megapixels, especially for that price.

I don't know how old your niece is but there are a lot of small $30-50 cameras that are about as feature laden as the FP one with better resolution.

SnuggleBuggles
12-04-2006, 09:34 PM
To feel out how interested ds would be in cameras we have been buying disposable cameras and getting them developed with 1 hour developing so the gratification is a bit faster. I think they make disposable digital ones. So, if you can't find a good, durable alternative then maybe you can grab one of these just for now and see how that goes.

Honestly ds has not cared about the quality of the finsihed product. He is just happy to see the pictures he has taken.

Beth

calv
12-05-2006, 06:32 AM
I wasn't going to get one for the price and quality reasons you and other's mentioned. To be honest I caved and was fortunate enough to have someone from the other side of the country ship one to me. My almost 3 year old will LOVE it. ANd like many others have mentioned the quality has NOT been an issue at all w/the kids that have already used the camera. It's super durable and what better way to see the world through your childs eye. IMO, that alone will be priceless. I highly doubt we'll print a lot off but it will be worth the joy and satisfaction for my kids! The fact that it's durable and has the 2 viewfinders makes it perfect for kids!!!!!!!!!!

DAKnits
12-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Anyone know where they have it online and in stock for around $60-$70? I can't find it anywhere!

calv
12-05-2006, 04:30 PM
last I saw it at sears and that was yesterday. I guess it's an instore item though

holliam
12-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Honestly, we just let DD use DH's digital. She is very careful with it and does just great with it.

ETA: My reasons for not getting it have nothing to do with image quality. It has more to do with not wanting to buy FP products and some other philosophical reasons. :)

Holli

nofeea
12-05-2006, 07:57 PM
We had been letting DD use our cameras "carefully" also, but she requested her own camera for her 4th birthday. I kept my eyes out (searched online every day!) and when the FP one showed up at Walmart I went for it. A lot of the other cheap ones either don't have a screen or a flash. The quality is probably not great but she loves it anyway, and hasn't even asked us to print anything. For us the most important feature is probably the screen- she loves seeing the pictures as she takes them and then reviewing them on the camera. We may never have to print one!

ECMom
12-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Check daily at walmart.com. It was back in stock for 2-3 days last week. Hopefully history will repeat itself.

Also, target.com allows you to search availability at stores using your zip code.

HTH,
Gina

the mommy
12-06-2006, 01:05 AM
I haven't seen it anywhere in stock, but I did see this tracker for it. It supposedly keeps track of stock for various online retailers. I used a similar one to find the Mickey Mouse clubhouse figurines at Etoys. Might be worth a try, I just checked it every once in a while and happened to catch it while they were in stock. They also have trackers for Elmo TMX and a few other "hot" toys.

http://www.kidtoughtracker.com/

Good luck!

Heather
dd 1/04

amp
12-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I know everyone is complaining about print quality, but honestly, that wasn't even a consideration at our house. DS wants to use our digital camera and is clumsy with it, and he loves taking pics and looking at them later. He has no interest in printing them. He will love having his own camera to take pics with, delete as desired and show us what he's done. That makes it worth it to us.

first_timer
12-06-2006, 09:54 AM
That is a GREAT site! Thanks for posting it!

youngmommy
12-26-2006, 11:34 PM
I saw that the FP Digital Camera made the hit list for several families in the toy review thread. I really want to get DD a digital camera, but the initial negative reviews turned me off. Is there a new consensus that this would be a fun toy? Not interested in actually printing the pix, but I would like them to be somewhat clear on the viewing screen.
Thx!

kijip
12-26-2006, 11:42 PM
We just let him use our camera. I have a folder on my computer for the interesting ones he snaps and we end up printing a fair number of them. :) That said, our camera is a relatively cheap hp, so we are not all that worried about him breaking it. In fact, if he did break it, I would be relived to have a motivation to replace it since I am too cheap to buy a new camera while it is still usable, LOL.

youngmommy
12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
I would let DD use my digital camera if I was in your situation. However, I have a really nice digital camera that I love and cannot afford to replace.

Any other positive reviews on the FP camera,
or other camera suggestions??

calv
12-29-2006, 08:10 AM
I can't recommend it enough. For the $ and durability it's worth it! At first I thought like many others that for the money, FP could of made it better quality. Honestly though for what I've read the reviews don't hold totally true to us. DD doesn't really review all her pics, she just snaps away and love it (the pics aren't the best quality but honestly kids do NOT care about that. And how many 8x10's and I going to print off from her camera? Most likely, none. That's what my camera is for. :) The camera hasn't been dropped yet and like i said, it's worth it for us because I have a rebel and she's always interested in touching it and like others, it's just too much camera for a toddler to touch or break.

DDowning
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
We got this for my DS and he loves it. No, the pictures aren't the best but he sure is proud of the ones he took! Isn't that what's important?

amp
12-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Yep, just as I predicted, Jake is taking pictures that are all full of glare, pics of shoes, people laps, etc. He could care less about print quality, or even getting the pic lined up. What he cares about it telling us "Smile and say cheese!" He is loving it! I just wish the lcd screen was clearer for him to focus his pic.

teddy
12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
DD, who's 4, LOVES her FP camera that Santa brought. She's figured out how to aim at people's faces instead of cutting off their heads like she did in the beginning. She loves to pose her stuffed animals and take pics, take pics of her room, etc... She is having so much fun just taking the pics.

I upload all the pics on the computer, then we watch a slide show of them. I doubt I'd print any of them, maybe just one or two. It's just fun for her to pose her brother, etc...

I also wish the screen were a bit clearer, but DD doesn't mind at all.

tribecamom
12-30-2006, 08:52 PM
ITA with the raves for this...I got both dd and ds one, both have been having a ball--my daughter takes incessant photos, my son loves deleting them but they both love the "real" aspect of the camera

MMMommy
12-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Haven't tested it out yet, but we bought the red Fisher Price Kid Tough Digital Camera from Target yesterday for our daughter's upcoming 3rd birthday gift. The red one is a Target exclusive and is the same price ($54.99) as the blue and pink versions at Target, but it has a 36 SD memory card as a bonus. I highly recommend seeking out this red one if you can find it at your local Target because of the extra memory at no extra cost.

Jen841
01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I agree, the view finder stinks, but J is having a BLAST taking pictures and my digital camera (good one!!!!) is safe again. Good insurance policy for our family camera.

I clear off all his random pictures and start again. Have not downloaded any yet, but will for his benefit.

He too is posing his toys for pictures, but his brother (1) is not a good target which is frustrating to him.

neeter
01-03-2007, 09:22 AM
DS loved it for the first two days or so of receiving it, but hadn't touched it since. We then started teaching him to use the camera on my cellphone, which takes much better pictures and has a bigger screen/"viewfinder". It doesn't have the fun sounds and its harder to scroll to see the pictures, but it serves the purpose. And its a lot more portable, a good way to keep DS occupied.

After much debate, I decided to return the FP camera.