PDA

View Full Version : Raise your hand if you'd buy a pastel kitchen for a boy

deborah_r
12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm really frustrated that the Kidkraft kitchen in "gender neutral" colors can only be gotten from Learning Express at $200, plus $50 shipping. I'm OK at $200, but the $50 shipping kills it for me. My nearest LE is 96 miles away (Carlsbad CA). It really irks me that the pastel one that is EXACTLY the same can be found at multiple stores for about $130.

So is anyone NOT squeamish about a pastel kitchen (with largest piece being a PINK fridge) for a boy? I really am trying to get past it and am kind of mad at myself for letting it matter to me.

amp
12-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Deborah, I was all set to get it last year and we eneded up going with a train table instead. However, later on I decided to go w/ the Target kitchen instead. Cheaper and more gender neutral. So the answer is yes and no. Helpful, eh?

hillview
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't. I got the costco island in primary.

new_mommy25
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM
We bought Noah the Costco Kidkraft kitchen last Christmas. It is pastel. It really isn't that bad though ours has a blue fridge. I didn't think twice about it. DH was a little hesitant about buying a kitchen for DS (which is crazy because the man is a chef) but has warmed up now that he sees how much Noah enjoys it. Noah and my nephew have never really even noticed the colors and I figure that Ruby will be playing with it, too.

Here's DS last Christmas. He looks so young!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/phishy25/DSCN3392.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/phishy25/DSCN3376resize.jpg

holliam
12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't like pastels for girls or boys. It's not gender-based opposition, just a more generalized one. :P

I do think KidKraft is super annoying for not having the primary-colored kitchens more readily available, including the accessories!

Holli

deborah_r
12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
A totally reasonable option, except I think an island will actualy take up more space (if I can't put it against the wall?) so I've been avoiding the island style. I have very limited space right now!

deborah_r
12-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Goodness, Angie, he was (is still) adorable! Is that an island?

I could comfort myself that the next baby might be a girl, but we have strong reasons to believe it is a boy (spotted a boy part during the "nuchal translucency" ultrasound!)

FiveLittleDucks
12-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm not too jazzed about pastels in general, so no, I probably wouldn't. It's not gender based as pp have said; I just don't like 'em.

We ended up getting this Kidkraft kitchen last year. I reviewed it in a different post. We love it, and it is very compact.

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=97909&rc=froogle97909

kayte
12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I am not a pastel kinda girl, but don't see a problem for you... I forsee any therapy in your son's future because his play kitchen was pink! That said, what about the Target kitchen, so much cheaper and not pastel?

dules
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Pastel didn't work in my living room so we got the Small World Toys one instead. Ours was from imaginetoys.com - red sink/stove and green fridge.

I like the primary kitchen island and the target one too.

I wouldn't necessarily mind pastel for a boy but prefer gender neutral for girls or boys.

Mary

cstack
12-06-2006, 06:41 PM
My DS played with his older sister's Fisher price, which was predominantly white and pink. It did not bother him in the least and he actually played with it more than she did. I'm fond of more neutral colors, though, and had really wanted to buy him the step 2 kitchen bacause I loved the colors and look of it (plus it had stainless steel appliances like my kitchen). I never did, though (I do still drool all over it every time I see it). I saw the Target one IRL and liked it a lot. It's an island style that I saw, but I don't see why you couldn't put it against the wall and just pull it out for play.

BTW, I also bought my DS a "travel system" for his dolls. He's going to make a great daddy some day.

Ceepa
12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
We bought the same one as Angie did (in the photos) and it is awesome! It has so many features and it is such a nice size. And how could you beat the Costco price ($94!)?

Sure there is pink on it, but DS doesn't care. He uses it for a kitchen, a parking garage and a puppet theater. We really enjoy it as does every kid/mom who comes to our house.

-Ceepa

oliviasmomma
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
ITA! (Although the above pics are so cute and I like the look of the kitchen IRL.) We aren't total gender-neutral people, but do try to pick toys that are more in the middle.

willow33
12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Pastel for boys doesn't bother me at all. In fact, we just bought the smaller Kidkraft pastel kitchen from Target as a Xmas present for them. To me price was more important than color.

buddyleebaby
12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
I would. I think it would be so sad to deny a little boy a toy he would enjoy because society has some silly rules about colors, of which he is not even aware.
All he will care about is that he has a kitchen to play with.

deborah_r
12-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, I finally made a decision. I started thinking about the Primary Island Kitchen at Costco, and it just seemed like such a good deal. No shipping charges, $130 with tax.

Thanks for your input! It was very interesting to hear people's thoughts on this!

new_mommy25
12-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I hope you like it!