PDA

View Full Version : Christmas tree protector

elephantmeg
12-09-2006, 10:36 PM
We finally figured something out for the Christmas tree. DH got a sheet of 2x8 plastic lattice from Lowes and built 2 supports for the edges (L shaped with a triangle brace at the bottom). The plastic lattice curves and goes around the tree (or rather from sofa to recliner!). If your tree is free standing in a room it might take a longer peice/2 peices of lattice. Just wanted to share since it seems that a lot of people are struggling with this too. DS is 9 1/2 months and pulls up on everything. Hopefully now he will pull up on this and not the tree!

HHCs Mom
12-09-2006, 11:07 PM
At that age I think we put dining room chairs around the tree so DS could pull up on them but not get to the tree. Now he's 2.5 and we're working on not removing ornaments. We put his ornaments and any that are unbreakable or not sentimental at the bottom so if he did touch, which I know he has and he will, it really won't matter. I guess maybe he'll be 5 before he'll leave the thing alone completely! ;)

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04
...and #2 due 5.24.07!

holliam
12-10-2006, 07:35 AM
When our cats were kittens we used to just tie the tree to wall. It worked great and would protect a child too.

DD has been 3 months, 15 months, and now 27 mo so we didn't have a pulling up problem. Last year she understood "one finger" and we just put unbreakable on the bottom, etc.

This year we wanted to include her in it more so we just put all unbreakable ornaments on the tree. She helped decorate and she rearranges the ornaments throughout the day.

Holli