PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone added things to their wood kitchen? Can I use 3M tape?

DAKnits
12-21-2006, 01:20 AM
I have the KidKraft kitchen in this link:

http://store.platinumgalleria.com/kidkraft-kitchen.html

But I love the newer version with the side towel rack and hooks to hang things.

Can I add hooks and a towel holder -- do you think that if I screw in the hooks and towel holder, they could split the wood? Or should I stick with hooks that stick on with 3M tape? I also wanted to add a side board on the right side of the kitchen so she has some more counter space, but I would have to search for some type of very short shelf unless I just got a piece of wood cut to size at Home Depot. But that means sanding, painting, etc... and I would rather it be a little easier. Anyone know of a small shelf that would do the job?

I was also thinking of adding something that could function as a phone receptable and then letting DD put one of her MANY play phones in there. I could buy something that just sticks on with 3M tape like a pad holder. I also wanted to tape a dry erase magnet board to the refrigerator.

Do you think the 3M tape will remove/ruin the paint on the kitchen if I take them off or they come off? Am I better off screwing things in, taping them, or leaving the kitchen alone?

Thanks for you opinions! Any pictures or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

s7714
12-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Can you pre-drill the holes? That would help keep the wood from splitting. Regular 3M tape would probably end up pealing off the paint, but 3M does make those removable hooks that aren't supposed to ruin paint. (I've used them before, but never on painted wood.) www.commandstrips.com

As for counter space, I'd probably just find a little table or something and tell her it's her own center island for her kitchen. ;) You might even be able to find a cheap little butcher block type cart somewhere so it'd be more realisitic. I have seen little quarter pie shaped shelves at Lowe's and Target that are meant to be floating shelves in the corner of a room. Maybe you could attach one of those to the end of it? Something like this:
http://www.wall-shelf.cn/images/302Kb.jpg

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

DAKnits
12-21-2006, 07:30 PM
I love that little corner shelf! Where is it from? I could use a few of those around the house. Yes, I can pre-drill the holes -- I'd have to just borrow my dad's drill. But I your idea of just using a table is probably the smartest way to go. I could just use the Nilo table that is directly in front of the kitchen, and tell her that is her kitchen island.

I would love to think of a creative way to make the Nilo table look more kitchen-like -- maybe I can take a poster board or something more substantial and cut it to fit on the table top, and then draw a design on it that would make it look like a kitchen surface. I suppose could also make it look like a "store" by doing the same thing and just use a different poster board and make a design. Do you think that would work? Any suggestions for what to draw?

s7714
12-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Well, the picture is actually just one I found by doing a image search, so I could illustrate what I was talking about. It came from this website: www.wall-shelf.cn But like I said, I've seen them at places like Lowe's, Home Depot and Target.

I think putting a poster board on the table top would work. Maybe you could find some Contact (shelf liner) paper that looks like wood butcher block or something? Don't know if they make it in that kind of pattern; I do know they make marble/granite type finishes though. Or, you could always go retro and throw a red & white checkered table cloth on the top of it. ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

DAKnits
12-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks so much! I love your idea of the table cloth, and I'm going to look around for cute items, and make a sign that says "Hannah's Store" -- I think I saw wood butcher block contact paper somewhere, so that would be cool.

Incidentally, yesterday I picked up the Alex Toys Push Cart Mini Mart from Tuesday morning for $44 which seems to be about half price of what I could get it for on line. Sadly, I think it's going to have to go to my parents' house b/c I am seriously out of room.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37013.jpg

funda62
12-23-2006, 03:18 AM
I have had great success with the command and release products from 3M except for on textured wallpaper. I've even used the velcro type ones to hang mirrors in a closet.