PDA

View Full Version : How do you balance between active and passive play/learning?

mommyapb
12-26-2006, 12:34 AM
I try very hard to help DD (9 mos) engage in active play/learning rather than simply observing an occurance. For Christmas, DD received a number of passive play/learning toys like:
http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Me-Elmos-Greatest-Hits/dp/B0007V63JE and
http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Interactive-Learn-Groove-Musical/dp/B000ETRENI/sr=1-3/qid=1167109331/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-7885549-9451329?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games
She enjoyed playing with them, push buttons & listening to the music.
And I am all for play being fun & at times just for that purpose. However, I prefer that most of dd's time be spent developing her fine & gross motor skills along with cognitive development. As a result, we bought her toys like blocks, books, a pushing car, musical instruments & the parents busy zoo block. DD spent 20 straight minutes playing with the busy zoo box--we were shocked! She moved the beads around, open & shut the doors, puller her self up, clapped & made "yeah" noises for herself when she completed a task or was excited. Personally I think that is so much better than the passive play toys that commend her with music or noise. (Not to mention 1,000 times cuter :))

Maybe I am rambling, but my questions is how do I go about incorporating the passive play toys into her day without stifling the interest she has developed in active play/learning? Any thoughts would be great.

Also I just want to add that I am in no way bashing the toys I listed above. Nor implying that they are bad. I just want to hear how others balance active & passive play :)

TIA

kijip
12-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I think that if kids have a mix of toys, they will pretty much self regulate between active and quiet activities. Of course the amounts vary a bit based on personality. :) Maybe I am naive, but that is what I have witnessed in my friend's children as well as my own. They don't need a lot of help balancing their play as they strike that balance for themselves based on what they are interested in/feeling up to at the moment. I don't think my son really needed any assistance over the last few years to mix up his day since his toys are pretty mixed. When he feels quiet, he reaches for a book or asks for a cd to listen to or wants to watch a DVD. When he feels active or imaginative he pulls out his trains, kitchen or art stuff. When he qwas preverbal he made his wishes known by what he was interested in doing. Listen and watch for her cues and everything will be fine. :)

MeAndMyStar
12-26-2006, 03:19 PM
ITA with Katie. Kids will usually be interested in a variety of toys on their own.

My DD has the Leap Frog table as well and is 18 months old and still plays with it all the time (she loves the banjo music!). She also loves books, music and puzzles.

I don't think she plays with any one type of toy *too* much, but I try to keep toys around that I prefer her to play with (obviously). I bring out others like My First Leap Pad-birthday gift from auntie- only occasionally.

-Sarah

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2006, 04:11 PM
I think all play is good and I think that letting them pick their own path is the best. Ds spent (spends) almost all his time with self directed play. At 4.5yo he is still great at playing on his own and likes a good mix of toys.

ITA with the post I replied to, btw. :)

Beth

mommyapb
12-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks Sarah & Katie.

Sarah you mentioned that you bring other toys out occasionally for DD & it made me think of another question. How do you have your DD's toys organized?

Right now, most of dd's toys are in cupboards & I give her toys to play with (2 at a time). Is that how you do it? I've noticed that when she has many toys out, she crawls from one to another constantly vs. playing with one/two for awhile.

MeAndMyStar
12-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Right now we use a PBK bookcase with canvas boxes from BRU and it's been great! When DD was younger we would give her one box at a time on the floor and she would reach in, tip the box over and get what she wanted and then put the box upright again. It was very cute! Now she gets the boxes from the shelves herself.

We also have big canvas bags on the lower shelf of the changing table for larger toys. As she gets older and has more toys now this solution might change. So far it's worked for us...she has bigger toys now and they are slowly starting to migrate to the living room, which I guess is inevitable!

For things like the leap pad and toys that require close supervision (3 and up toys) I store them in her closet. HTH!

-Sarah

mommyapb
12-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Sarah,

The info helps alot. What you did with your dd is pretty much what we are doing now.

Thanks!