PDA

View Full Version : Parents of pirate loving kiddos...

punkrockmama
12-26-2006, 09:21 PM
What are your favorite websites to order from? What do they enjoy the most? Peyton's birthday is coming up and since it's the day after Christmas I think it's a good time to start shopping all over again,lol.

I'm not quite sure what kind of gear to buy but he often walks around the house saying "Arrggh me hardys" and the like. So I guess I'd like to check out ships, hats, stuff with skulls & crossbones and all that jazz. :)

Thanks in advance!

Corie
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
We also have a pirate loving child. My daughter.

My husband got her a pirate eye patch from the airport on his
last business trip.

The website is www.accoutrements.com

Search using the word, Pirate.

He got her the Deluxe Eye Patch.

Also, on another business trip he got her the Usborne Pirate Kit.

It is called Pirate Things to Make and Do. This book is lots of fun!!

Check out their website. www.usborne.com
You can search by pirate.

One more thing, Melissa & Doug makes a really cool pirate chest. I plan on
getting this for my daughter.

My husband takes her on pirate treasure hunts around our yard. Right before we
moved from Texas, they had a big hunt. He had gone outside beforehand (without
her knowing) and he had buried some stuff in the yard. Then, he took a spray paint
can and marked it with a skull and crossbones and a big X. I could hear them
yelling, "ARGH MATEY!!" :)

Corie
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Forgot to mention,

check out the website www.orientaltrading.com

They have tons of pirate stuff. Pirate tattoos, pirate necklace, pirate bandanas, etc.

Just be careful with your ordering since most of their stuff is sold in big quantities.

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Ds had a treasure hunt themed party (not so much into the pirate thing). I found this website had tons of awesome party ideas for pirate/ treasure hunt parties:

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/pirate_parties_31.html

From that we did invites arriving in rootbeer bottles, a treasure chest pull string pinata (from Birthdayexpress.com), the treasure chest b-day made by based on the FamilyFun.com website, and a treasure hunt. I also downloaded somemusic from "Pirates of the Carribean" and other pirate music from iTunes and played that during the party.

I am a big birthday party dork, I know. :)

Beth

ETA:
We scored a bunch of stuff at the party supply stores. They had skull and cross bone "garland," pirate hats, eye patches, inflateable palm trees, little pirate figurines, hook hand. I found this awesome blow up pirate ship on clearance at Target; was about 3-3.5' tall and the masts were used to play ring toss on. Birthdaypartyexpress.com and the Oriental Trading Co. have stuff too.

mainepotato
12-26-2006, 10:10 PM
These look nice:

http://www.novanatural.com/product.phtml?pr=4756&sec=671
http://www.novanatural.com/product.phtml?pr=4758&sec=671

ellies mom
12-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Not sure if you are a backyardians fan but we bought DD the Backyardigans Pirate bath toy. It has a ship, treasure chest, Pablo and Uniqua. She loves it. She plays with it quite a bit, not just in the bath.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ERVLVQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37445579_.jpg

We found a "foam" pirate hat at Micheals, that DD likes also.

marie
12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I was in Barefoot Books the other day and saw a pirate storybook that looked really nice (but i'm a big fan of their books to begin with):

http://www.barefoot-books.com/us/site/pages/productone.php?pid=322

if you scroll down, they also have a pirate puppet, puzzle and companion CD for the book.

punkrockmama
12-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Corie, that is so cute that your DH and DD play that way together. I'd love to have a little pirate girlie running around, I can't wait until Layla is old enough for that stuff. :) Thanks for the links and the treasure hunt idea.

Oh my god Beth, that website does have tons of party ideas. I bet you throw awesome parties. :) Alas, Peyton has yet to detox from all things Thomas. So while he's starting to branch out a bit with the pirate stuff, it's gonna be a Thomas Birthday around here (again!). LOL. Thanks!

Tricia-Those are so cute! I have to say, the sword scares me a little with my kid,lol. But I love the other stuff. :) Thanks.

We do catch The Backyardigans Veronica. Not very often but we do. In fact, I think that may be where he got some of it because he hasn't seen The Wiggles in months so no Captain Feathersword, and we don't really watch all that much TV. Thank you!

Thanks for the link Marie. I've never heard of Barefoot books before. I'm always on the hunt for more books and the site looks really, really nice.

I appreciate all the help guys! :)

DDowning
12-27-2006, 11:44 AM
DS got this Duplo one for Christmas:

http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/7881-0000-XX-12-1.jpg

Its so cute, he scoots it around the carpet and seems to enjoy it pretty well. The loose parts are very few as its geared towards the younger set. Much easier to not worrying about little pieces falling off!

barbarhow
12-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Sheila-check out mini boden-they had a pair of pirate jammies that were so cute. Jack got them for christmas and when he opened them up he whipped off his flannels and put those on. they are really adorable. Pricey. but adorable.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

bnme
12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow, love the Duplo set. In all my searches for my pirate-loving DS I missed that one. :( Looks perfect.

We have the new Peter Pan Heroes big ship and the KidKraft one from Costco. Both were Xmas presents. I had initially bought the wooden one, but DH spotted the new Peter Pan set at TRU a few days before Xmas eve and we couldn't resist.

The KidKraft set is very nice and sturdy. No tiny pieces. The play mat is very small. The Peter Pan set comes with tons of little things, some of which I took away. And seems much more prone to breakage. But it's very cool and has compartments that open, etc. So far it is holding up fine. And both boys love them.

I also just ordered some pirate tatoos and a pirate treasure hunt sticker scene as activities for DS's upcoming birthday.

kcimato
12-27-2006, 02:48 PM
My grandson had a pirate themed BD and we got all the party goods at Party City( don't know if you have one near you though).

Fisher Price makes a cute pirate ship that they sell at Target and Wallmart

I had 3 of the grandkids shirts made at www.brookiesboutique.com that were absolutly adorable. She doesn't have them on her website but you can email her and ask for a pirate shirt. She sent me about 6 different designs that she could do. You can customize it with your name and the color you want.

www.ellabeebaby.com also has a cute pirate shirt. that says "ho ho ho and a bottle of juice.

There are tons of pirate books out there. When we bought them back in June Barnes and Noble had a great display of pirate books. Just go to their site and do a search.

Grandpa found a birthday party site with a pirate ship ckae and offered to make it. Well he didn't read the sidebar warnings about how difficult it was to make and we ended up with a ship wrecked cake!!!
He just went ahead with it and my DGS ended up diggging into that one and we make a plain 9X13 cake and put lots of pirate decorations on it.

eta don't forget the pirate ship boat at www.bathboats.com

rlu
12-27-2006, 04:42 PM
DS got this for Christmas. I was debating exchanging for the same thing since the mast on ours fits so loosely that it tips out easily. DH thinks it is a design flaw and that all of them would have this problem. Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

ellies mom
12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, the mast comes off all the time. I just leave it off unless I'm being really anal about straightening up. It doesn't seem to bother DD any.

rlu
12-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, we reasoned it might be a safety feature. DS keeps trying to put it back on and gets frustrated but maybe we can "lose" it some night.

BaileyBea
12-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey there,

This fall I saw this book a the Tx Book festival. It's called Bubble Bath Pirates by Jarret Krosoczka. I thought this book would go great w/a Pirate Wooden Bath Boat

http://www.amazon.com/Bubble-Bath-Pirates-Jarrett-Krosoczka/dp/0670035998/sr=8-1/qid=1167338398/ref=sr_1_1/104-0013243-5134311?ie=UTF8&s=books

Wooden Bath Boat:

http://www.bathboats.com/

I was thinking of getting DS these for his b-day.

Nancy

Tondi G
12-28-2006, 11:24 PM
These might be a little old for your DS but Mega Bloks Pyrates have fantastic pirate ships and toys! My 5 year old DS has a ton of these sets and LOVES them!

Playmobile also has some great pirate stuff!

For party sites I like www.birthdaydirect.com and we got a ton of stuff from Oriental trading for DS's pirate party!

~Tondi

newnana
12-29-2006, 10:18 AM
DD is younger than your son, but she is obsessed with the Little People pirate ship we got for her.

Also on the bargains forum, they listed that Lillian Vernon has stuff up to 75% off and with a $75 purchase there is free shipping. They have some pirate stuff and I thought of your post.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=8648&name=Pirate+Ship+Play+Set&parentCatId=2&catId=41&subCatId=196

I also second the eye-patch idea. DH and DD both have them and think it's hilarious. And the used paper towel tube is a perfect telescope for our little pirate DD.

Good luck!
Michelle

newmomto3kids
12-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Our Target has a ton of pirate stuff in the dollar aisle right now. Really nice stuff, too.

punkrockmama
12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Deidra, that is one cool looking ship. Thanks for posting!

Barb-Are you talking about the skull & crossbone ones? Oh, we've got 'em....In about three sizes. :) I saw those and fell in LOVE. Sometimes I'll put the top on him underneath a t-shirt for the day.

kcimato and Nacy. Thanks for all the links. Those bath boats are sooo cute. Must own one.

Michelle, thanks for posting that. I never check the bargain forum so I would have missed it.

Thanks again to all of you that posted. I totally appreciate the help! Whew, I'm in trouble because I saw a ton of stuff I wanted...er, um I mean I saw tons of things I think Peyton would like, haha. :)

octmom
01-02-2007, 08:02 PM
The stuff at Target is fun for dress up. I picked up two pirate hats, two pirate vests, a package of pirate tattoos (DS loves tattoos and just ran out of Nemo tattoos), and a hook and eye patch set. They also have pirate swords and a few small plastic pirate toys, but we skipped those.

Also, if you have a Gap Kids outlet nearby, I picked up a cute grey LS t-shirt with a pirate ship on it just a few days ago while we were out of town.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06