PDA

View Full Version : Playsilks in large quantity: ? for Playsilk Makers - or Crafty Moms

lilycat88
12-31-2006, 01:27 PM
If you were going to make "playsilks" in a large quantity for a daycare/preschool, what fabric would you use? They are just looking for some scarves to use for movement exploration activities. Obviously, it would need to be something durable and that can be washed and is relatively inexpensive. We'd like primary colors. I've got a couple of ideas but wanted to see if anyone else had a brilliant thought. I would say we're mainly looking at smaller ones that can be *swished* and waved around. I would say at least 10-20 per classroom and there are 11 classrooms. Some of the other moms in the parents club are going to make them by just serging a rolled hem.

Any sources for fabric would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Jamelin

Momof3Labs
12-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd just get them at Dharma Trading Company - but I guess it depends on your budget. They are easily dyed with Kool Aid (though I don't know how the Kool Aid dyed ones wash).

mommyoftwo
12-31-2006, 07:38 PM
I buy mine from darhma as well. They are very well priced and cheeper than buying the fabric and doing it yourself. Plus you get a discount when you purchase 12 or more of the same size. I use the procion dyes but you can easily use kool-aid. Just know that if you use kool-aid, the colors will be pastel. If you want really bright colors, you will need to buy procion dyes. They really aren't too expensive though especially if you are making as many as you mentioned.

Momof3Labs
12-31-2006, 09:31 PM
I got pretty bright colors using Kool Aid. Perhaps not as deep as using procion, but I got a wonderful red, orange and bright blue. Yellow is very pastel, though.

mommyoftwo
12-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Interesting. I suppose it depends on how much dye you use and what colors. I make a lot of playsilks and I'm planning on selling them soon so it just makes more sense to buy the procion. Cheeper in the long run I think and more possibilities.

funda62
01-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Call me ignorant but what is wrong with using RIT dye?

brittone2
01-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Most experienced playsilk makers say Rit will get very washed out eventually.

If they need to be washed frequently I might opt for Procion over Kool Aid. I *think* Kool Aid will fade over time if you are washing frequently. I think most people say you can only get really bright (vs. pastel) colors w/ Kool aid by overdying, but the dye will eventually wash out quite a bit if you are going to be washing them often.

ITA w/ going w/ Dharma. They carry silk but also some other fabrics. You might be able to find Nylon or other material scarves there too if you want to compare prices (Thai silks is another company similar to Dharma). Not sure if Procion works on Nylon but I think it should. Kool Aid will only work on protein fibers like silk/wool.

What a great idea.

crl
01-01-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure how much blanks cost, but I found playsilks on sale at Hearthsong for $4.50 per silk. That's about half off, I think. Seemed pretty cheap to me so I thought I would mention it in case it is comparable to dying your own.

deenass
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I'd also suggest a dye called DYLON (though my disclaimer is that I've never used it on silk). It is a fiber reactive dye (like the Dharma procion dyes) but MUCH easier to use (and much less mess).